Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2017/08/31 18:43:54 UTC

Re: Working on upgrade Drill Calcite version

+dev@calcite.

Excellent work, Roman.

Your changes to Calcite don’t seem to be very major, and I ran the test suite on your https://github.com/KulykRoman/incubator-calcite/commits/DrillCalcite1.13.0_rc1 branch and all the tests pass. So when you are ready, I think we can expedite getting these changes back into Calcite.

Calcite will release 1.14 probably in the next two weeks. So, when you’re on to 1.13 let’s continue the momentum and get up to the latest release. I would love to get to the situation that we can ask Drill to verify a Calcite release before we make it. There are possibly breaking changes in the area of schema and grouping-sets aggregate but it should be mostly straightforward.

Julian

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 8:12 AM, Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> It's great to hear that someone is working on moving Drill on new Calcite
> release! As someone who did similar job in last two rebase work, I could
> see that there would be many regressions to fix. Please let me know if I
> can provide any help.
>
> I thought we have pushed almost Drill specific commits to Calcite. I'll
> take a look at your Calcite branch. Ideally, we want to get rid of all
> Drill specific commits, after the rebase work this time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jinfeng
>

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Aman Sinha <am...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is long overdue !  Thanks for working on it Roman.   If needed,
>> we can do a separate hangout with a few selected folks who have worked on
>> Drill+Calcite to provide feedback on how to resolve the test failures.
>> Although, at this stage you probably know a lot more about the integration
>> than many of us.
>>
>> -Aman
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Roman Kulyk <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, team!
>>>
>>> I want to inform that I am working on updating Drill Calcite version to
>>> 1.13. I forked from Calcite "branch-1.13" and added some commits:
>>> - DRILL-1455: Add return type-inference strategy for arithmetic operators
>>> when one of the arguments is ANY type. (was not in Calcite)
>>> - Add new method to ViewExpander interface to allow passing SchemaRoot.
>>> (was not in Calcite)
>>> - Allow a MAP literal type. (was not in Calcite)
>>> - DRILL-4047: Modify table functions to allow querying a table with
>> options
>>> in Drill (was not in Calcite)
>>> - Drill-specific change: Add back AbstractConverter in RelSet.java ...
>>> (small changes after a3bc0d8 commit)
>>> - CALCITE-628 related but not fix the problem: Ensure target traits are
>>> simple when use Frameworks or RelOptRule.convert() method. (small changes
>>> after a3bc0d8 commit)
>>> -  Support select * from schema-less table in execution engine like Drill
>>> (small changes after 9bd7d75 commit)
>>>
>>> Only after adding these commits to Calcite, a part of  Drill
>> functionality
>>> started to work as before. Currently, I am at Drill integration stage. I
>> am
>>> fixing Drill unit tests. Progress can be tracked in my branches.
>>>
>>> Drill: https://github.com/KulykRoman/drill/commits/CalciteForkRebase_rc1
>>> Calcite:
>>> https://github.com/KulykRoman/incubator-calcite/commits/
>>> DrillCalcite1.13.0_rc1
>>>
>>> Currently, I face ~160 errors in java-exec module unit tests. I have
>>> divided them into seven groups:
>>> 1) SYSTEM ERROR: ClassCastException
>>> 2) Unexpected column errors
>>> 3) Runtime Exceptions
>>> 4) validation errors

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
Fantastic news! Thanks to all who made this happen.

--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.