Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/10/25 07:57:49 UTC

Re: Harmony passes 94% on derby tests.

Nice work!

More inline..

Leo Li wrote:
> 467 Tests Run
> 94% Pass (443 tests passed)
> 6% Fail (24 tests failed)
> 5 Suites skipped
>
> The main progress focuses here:
> 1. Harmony classlib fails to load class when user-defined security policy
> exists. It is due to the sequence of library loading of VM, which has been
> resolved now.
> 2. A new workround for derby tests which allow useprocess to run test or
> else several testcases might fail due to derby lack these tests when
> useprocess = false.
> 3. Derby source code uses the version and the name of java vm to decide
> what
> to do, while current IBM VM has the version of "1.4.2" and the name of
> "j9",
> which has different output on the screen from that of standard RI 1.5. At
> the same time Derby test compares the output of the iteractive test scripts
> to that of expected. I have made some slight modification in its source
> code, but I have not throughly change this odd behavior, ...,too much:(

Have you approached the derby community with the changes?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Leo Li wrote:
> So I recommend to delay putting formal derby tests in Harmony project
> util
> they are ported to junit. Since there will be quite some trouble to build
> them and to test them. Furthermore, current tests which are large and
> compared by console output are not so easy for debugging.:)
> Besides, I will put my patch on Harmony wiki page and give some
> instructions
> about how to build and test for those who are interested in this topic
> right
> now.

Excellent work and very nice page!

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab

Re: Harmony passes 94% on derby tests.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

--
Leo Li

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> What's the timeline?  Can we help?

Hopefully within months, we already have a set of JUnit tests that run
successfully, now just need to convert the existing ~600 tests.
Conversion has started, and yes you are very welcome to help, just join
in on derby-dev@db.apache.org.

Thanks,
Dan.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I bet Mark could write a Perl script to do that...

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Derby is moving to a pure JUnit based world, so it is probably not worth
> a lot of effort patching up the old harness to run with Harmony. One of
> the reasons to kill the old harness is that how to run with a new vm is
> not obvious.

No kidding ;-)

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)

Re: Harmony passes 94% on derby tests.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
Nice work!
Thanks, Vladimir

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/7, Nina Rinskaya <ni...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for your reply! And I agree that the right thing is to file
> bugs on EUT. But maybe it is ok to make the patches first as a
> temporary workaround just to be able to run EUT on Harmony and not to
> wait too long for EUT bugs fixes? Does it make sense?

Sure, the patches would be useful even if just hanging in a JIRA. I
suggest to separate issues intended for commit from temporary stuff,
please file additional JIRA for the last.

--
Best regards,
Alexey

Posted by Nina Rinskaya <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x215 day of Apache Harmony Nina Rinskaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might have chosen the wrong thread for this message, but this is
> about another well-known unit tests suite - Eclipse Unit Tests. I've
> recently filed new JIRA issue
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2038) with the ant
> script to run EUT on Harmony. Does it make sense to integrate it to
> the buildtest module?

I think, yes!

Posted by Nina Rinskaya <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>

> <snip>

>> > I had assumed we'd make separate, optional cruisecontrol jobs to
>> perform
>> > the coverage/japi/etc reporting.  These jobs would depend on the build
>> > ant test jobs succeeding.
>
> I agree.
>>
>> Judging by the structure you suggest, it
>> > seems to me that you may anticipate doing it differently?
>> >

> my vision is: into each 'application' directory we have 3 files (at least):
> one - for manual run of application tests over checkouted workspace, one
> for
> manual run of application tests over HDK and one - cruise control project
> description for this test set based on the first file (actually, 'cc'
> may be
> is not good name. Let's rename it to 'hut' (harmony unit tests) or
> something
> else).
>
> The common part - classlib and drlvm builds - should be stored into root of
> buildtest/trunk module.
>
> By default, the CC will include only builds and unit tests for classlib and
> drlvm but can be updated to builds and something else by command line
> options.
>
> Is it OK?

Why not put everything in by default, and let people comment out what
they don't need?

geir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

<snip>

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 25 October 2006 at 18:36, "Vladimir Ivanov" <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Excellent!
>>
>> I have one more idea: we already have buildtest module. Some time ago we
>> agreed to extends it by coverage and japi scripts (I hope it happens soon:)
>> ). May be we extend it one more time and store here some scripts for
>> automatic run of other-projects unit tests? Seems, in this case we can
>> easily reproduce tests run and enable new platforms.
>>
>> Of cause, we can not cover all application but we can define some list of
>> 'most important application'.
>>
>> Is it OK?
>
> I think gump will do this?

I'm sure it will, but given we have the infrastructure that we want
people to run anyway, why not use it?

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 25 October 2006 at 18:36, "Vladimir Ivanov" <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent!
>
> I have one more idea: we already have buildtest module. Some time ago we
> agreed to extends it by coverage and japi scripts (I hope it happens soon:)
> ). May be we extend it one more time and store here some scripts for
> automatic run of other-projects unit tests? Seems, in this case we can
> easily reproduce tests run and enable new platforms.
>
> Of cause, we can not cover all application but we can define some list of
> 'most important application'.
>
> Is it OK?

I think gump will do this?

> PS. The directory structure may be something like that:
>
> builtest
>     - trunk
>         - cc
>         - coverage
>         - japi
>         - application_test
>             - derby
>             - ant
>             - etc
>         - misc (some other scripts)

I had assumed we'd make separate, optional cruisecontrol jobs to perform
the coverage/japi/etc reporting.  These jobs would depend on the build
ant test jobs succeeding.  Judging by the structure you suggest, it

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/26/06, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Vladimir:
>     Sorry for the delay.
>     I am willing to share my script. It will be great if we can use real
> application as a supplement for our testcase.
>    But...actually, I am not quite sure about what the script is.:)

>From my point of view (other people can have other point :) ) it is ant
based script that:

 - download application (if needed);

 - download tests (if needed);

 - do some 'standard' modification (if needed);

 - run application tests over the harmony runtime.

Also it may prepare results for wiki or something else :)

 thanks, Vladimir

Note, you can look at
*HARMONY-995*<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-995>,
file cc.zip to see a preliminary structure of 'buildtest' module

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vladimir:

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
Excellent!