You are viewing a plain text version of this content. The canonical link for it is here.
Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhisar Sinha <Ab...@shapeblue.com> on 2024/07/25 09:46:11 UTC
Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Hi João,
Thanks for managing the 4.20.0.0 release.
I am working on a PR (File System as a first-class feature in Cloudstack) which we can consider as a 'must have'.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Filesystem+as+a+First+Class+Feature
Dev work is almost done, And I'll open the PR for review by the end of this month.
But keeping the review and validation times in mind, it will be tough to meet the suggested dates.
Can we postpone the freeze to early September? I believe that will give us enough time to get the feature merged with satisfactory quality.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Abhisar
________________________________
From: João Jandre Paraquetti <jo...@scclouds.com.br>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2024 12:24 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>; dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Hi Suresh, all
I agree that we should release 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, also, there are
some features missing on 4.20.0.0 still that I'd like to get in, so more
time wouldn't hurt.
That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
- On the third week of August, we freeze the main branch. That means any
feature must be in by the second week of August. Only accept
critical/blocker issues until the last week of August.
- On the last week of August, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
What are your thoughts?
Also, does anyone have any "must have" Issues/PRs for 4.20.0.0? If so,
could you share them via this thread or ping me (@JoaoJandre) on Github?
Best Regards,
João Jandre.
On 5/23/24 13:39, Suresh Anaparti wrote:
> Hi João Jandre,
>
> I think, it's better to do 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, and schedule 4.20.0.0 release a month or two after 4.19.1.0 release. Considering the 4.19.1.0 timelines proposed [1], you can target 4.20.0.0 in Q3, around Aug end (or early Sept). Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/fo8s9qzh625c4fk8rgzjhpdn9kfgoqsp
>
>
> Regards,
> Suresh
>
> From: João Jandre <jo...@apache.org>
> Date: Monday, 6 May 2024 at 7:37 PM
> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> Subject: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
> Hi all,
>
> Regarding the original 4.20.0.0 release schedule proposed here:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/nyoddmwydz2t59hsfs7gf0vozlf7n434, I
> would like to propose an update to it.
>
> Considering that:
> 1. The community expended a lot of time working to fix the CVEs that
> were recently found;
> 2. The community is busy with 4.19.1.0;
> 3. The original schedule would put the COCEU 2024 and the RC1 on the
> same week;
>
> I think we should postpone the 4.20.0.0 release for at least a month.
> That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
>
> - On the first week of July, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> feature must be in by the last week of June. Only accept
> critical/blocker issues until the second week of July.
> - On the second week of July, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
> João Jandre
>
>
>
>
Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Joao. Your proposed schedule LGTM.
I agree that we need to draw the line somewhere and call it a freeze sooner than later. That said we've been awfully busy with quite a few security issues and usually we've been trying to do two major releases a year, with first in Q1/Q2 and second one in Q3/Q4, if we try your proposed timeline we might have the release or at least a couple of RCs before CCC.
Regards.
________________________________
From: Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2024 20:04
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Thanks João.
It looks good to me.
Kind regards,
Wei
On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 4:06 PM João Jandre Paraquetti
<jo...@scclouds.com.br> wrote:
>
> Hi Abhisar, all,
>
> We have been postponing 4.20.0.0 for some time now, in August we will
> reach the mark of 6 months without a minor release. I would like to not
> stray too far from this 6 month mark. That being said, we can postpone
> the release again. However, unless we have a security issue or something
> of sorts, I will be against postponing it further.
>
> Here's the proposed updated schedule:
>
> - On the second week of September, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> feature must be in by the first week of September. Only accept
> critical/blocker issues until the third week of September.
> - On the third week of September, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Best regards,
> João Jandre
>
> On 7/25/24 06:46, Abhisar Sinha wrote:
> > Hi João,
> >
> > Thanks for managing the 4.20.0.0 release.
> >
> > I am working on a PR (File System as a first-class feature in Cloudstack) which we can consider as a 'must have'.
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Filesystem+as+a+First+Class+Feature
> > Dev work is almost done, And I'll open the PR for review by the end of this month.
> >
> > But keeping the review and validation times in mind, it will be tough to meet the suggested dates.
> > Can we postpone the freeze to early September? I believe that will give us enough time to get the feature merged with satisfactory quality.
> > Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Abhisar
> > ________________________________
> > From: João Jandre Paraquetti <jo...@scclouds.com.br>
> > Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2024 12:24 AM
> > To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>; dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
> >
> > Hi Suresh, all
> >
> > I agree that we should release 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, also, there are
> > some features missing on 4.20.0.0 still that I'd like to get in, so more
> > time wouldn't hurt.
> >
> > That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
> >
> > - On the third week of August, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> > feature must be in by the second week of August. Only accept
> > critical/blocker issues until the last week of August.
> > - On the last week of August, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> > necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
> >
> > What are your thoughts?
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any "must have" Issues/PRs for 4.20.0.0? If so,
> > could you share them via this thread or ping me (@JoaoJandre) on Github?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > João Jandre.
> >
> > On 5/23/24 13:39, Suresh Anaparti wrote:
> >> Hi João Jandre,
> >>
> >> I think, it's better to do 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, and schedule 4.20.0.0 release a month or two after 4.19.1.0 release. Considering the 4.19.1.0 timelines proposed [1], you can target 4.20.0.0 in Q3, around Aug end (or early Sept). Please let me know your thoughts.
> >>
> >> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/fo8s9qzh625c4fk8rgzjhpdn9kfgoqsp
> >>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Suresh
> >>
> >> From: João Jandre <jo...@apache.org>
> >> Date: Monday, 6 May 2024 at 7:37 PM
> >> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> >> Subject: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Regarding the original 4.20.0.0 release schedule proposed here:
> >> https://lists.apache.org/thread/nyoddmwydz2t59hsfs7gf0vozlf7n434, I
> >> would like to propose an update to it.
> >>
> >> Considering that:
> >> 1. The community expended a lot of time working to fix the CVEs that
> >> were recently found;
> >> 2. The community is busy with 4.19.1.0;
> >> 3. The original schedule would put the COCEU 2024 and the RC1 on the
> >> same week;
> >>
> >> I think we should postpone the 4.20.0.0 release for at least a month.
> >> That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
> >>
> >> - On the first week of July, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> >> feature must be in by the last week of June. Only accept
> >> critical/blocker issues until the second week of July.
> >> - On the second week of July, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> >> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
> >>
> >> What are your thoughts?
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> João Jandre
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Thanks João.
It looks good to me.
Kind regards,
Wei
On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 4:06 PM João Jandre Paraquetti
<jo...@scclouds.com.br> wrote:
>
> Hi Abhisar, all,
>
> We have been postponing 4.20.0.0 for some time now, in August we will
> reach the mark of 6 months without a minor release. I would like to not
> stray too far from this 6 month mark. That being said, we can postpone
> the release again. However, unless we have a security issue or something
> of sorts, I will be against postponing it further.
>
> Here's the proposed updated schedule:
>
> - On the second week of September, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> feature must be in by the first week of September. Only accept
> critical/blocker issues until the third week of September.
> - On the third week of September, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Best regards,
> João Jandre
>
> On 7/25/24 06:46, Abhisar Sinha wrote:
> > Hi João,
> >
> > Thanks for managing the 4.20.0.0 release.
> >
> > I am working on a PR (File System as a first-class feature in Cloudstack) which we can consider as a 'must have'.
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Filesystem+as+a+First+Class+Feature
> > Dev work is almost done, And I'll open the PR for review by the end of this month.
> >
> > But keeping the review and validation times in mind, it will be tough to meet the suggested dates.
> > Can we postpone the freeze to early September? I believe that will give us enough time to get the feature merged with satisfactory quality.
> > Please let me know your thoughts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Abhisar
> > ________________________________
> > From: João Jandre Paraquetti <jo...@scclouds.com.br>
> > Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2024 12:24 AM
> > To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>; dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
> >
> > Hi Suresh, all
> >
> > I agree that we should release 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, also, there are
> > some features missing on 4.20.0.0 still that I'd like to get in, so more
> > time wouldn't hurt.
> >
> > That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
> >
> > - On the third week of August, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> > feature must be in by the second week of August. Only accept
> > critical/blocker issues until the last week of August.
> > - On the last week of August, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> > necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
> >
> > What are your thoughts?
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any "must have" Issues/PRs for 4.20.0.0? If so,
> > could you share them via this thread or ping me (@JoaoJandre) on Github?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > João Jandre.
> >
> > On 5/23/24 13:39, Suresh Anaparti wrote:
> >> Hi João Jandre,
> >>
> >> I think, it's better to do 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, and schedule 4.20.0.0 release a month or two after 4.19.1.0 release. Considering the 4.19.1.0 timelines proposed [1], you can target 4.20.0.0 in Q3, around Aug end (or early Sept). Please let me know your thoughts.
> >>
> >> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/fo8s9qzh625c4fk8rgzjhpdn9kfgoqsp
> >>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Suresh
> >>
> >> From: João Jandre <jo...@apache.org>
> >> Date: Monday, 6 May 2024 at 7:37 PM
> >> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> >> Subject: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Regarding the original 4.20.0.0 release schedule proposed here:
> >> https://lists.apache.org/thread/nyoddmwydz2t59hsfs7gf0vozlf7n434, I
> >> would like to propose an update to it.
> >>
> >> Considering that:
> >> 1. The community expended a lot of time working to fix the CVEs that
> >> were recently found;
> >> 2. The community is busy with 4.19.1.0;
> >> 3. The original schedule would put the COCEU 2024 and the RC1 on the
> >> same week;
> >>
> >> I think we should postpone the 4.20.0.0 release for at least a month.
> >> That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
> >>
> >> - On the first week of July, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> >> feature must be in by the last week of June. Only accept
> >> critical/blocker issues until the second week of July.
> >> - On the second week of July, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> >> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
> >>
> >> What are your thoughts?
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> João Jandre
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
Posted by João Jandre Paraquetti <jo...@scclouds.com.br>.
Hi Abhisar, all,
We have been postponing 4.20.0.0 for some time now, in August we will
reach the mark of 6 months without a minor release. I would like to not
stray too far from this 6 month mark. That being said, we can postpone
the release again. However, unless we have a security issue or something
of sorts, I will be against postponing it further.
Here's the proposed updated schedule:
- On the second week of September, we freeze the main branch. That means any
feature must be in by the first week of September. Only accept
critical/blocker issues until the third week of September.
- On the third week of September, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
What are your thoughts?
Best regards,
João Jandre
On 7/25/24 06:46, Abhisar Sinha wrote:
> Hi João,
>
> Thanks for managing the 4.20.0.0 release.
>
> I am working on a PR (File System as a first-class feature in Cloudstack) which we can consider as a 'must have'.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Filesystem+as+a+First+Class+Feature
> Dev work is almost done, And I'll open the PR for review by the end of this month.
>
> But keeping the review and validation times in mind, it will be tough to meet the suggested dates.
> Can we postpone the freeze to early September? I believe that will give us enough time to get the feature merged with satisfactory quality.
> Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhisar
> ________________________________
> From: João Jandre Paraquetti <jo...@scclouds.com.br>
> Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2024 12:24 AM
> To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>; dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
>
> Hi Suresh, all
>
> I agree that we should release 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, also, there are
> some features missing on 4.20.0.0 still that I'd like to get in, so more
> time wouldn't hurt.
>
> That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
>
> - On the third week of August, we freeze the main branch. That means any
> feature must be in by the second week of August. Only accept
> critical/blocker issues until the last week of August.
> - On the last week of August, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Also, does anyone have any "must have" Issues/PRs for 4.20.0.0? If so,
> could you share them via this thread or ping me (@JoaoJandre) on Github?
>
> Best Regards,
> João Jandre.
>
> On 5/23/24 13:39, Suresh Anaparti wrote:
>> Hi João Jandre,
>>
>> I think, it's better to do 4.19.1.0 before 4.20.0.0, and schedule 4.20.0.0 release a month or two after 4.19.1.0 release. Considering the 4.19.1.0 timelines proposed [1], you can target 4.20.0.0 in Q3, around Aug end (or early Sept). Please let me know your thoughts.
>>
>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/fo8s9qzh625c4fk8rgzjhpdn9kfgoqsp
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Suresh
>>
>> From: João Jandre <jo...@apache.org>
>> Date: Monday, 6 May 2024 at 7:37 PM
>> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
>> Subject: [PROPOSAL] Update the 4.20.0.0 release schedule
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Regarding the original 4.20.0.0 release schedule proposed here:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread/nyoddmwydz2t59hsfs7gf0vozlf7n434, I
>> would like to propose an update to it.
>>
>> Considering that:
>> 1. The community expended a lot of time working to fix the CVEs that
>> were recently found;
>> 2. The community is busy with 4.19.1.0;
>> 3. The original schedule would put the COCEU 2024 and the RC1 on the
>> same week;
>>
>> I think we should postpone the 4.20.0.0 release for at least a month.
>> That being said, here is the updated schedule I propose:
>>
>> - On the first week of July, we freeze the main branch. That means any
>> feature must be in by the last week of June. Only accept
>> critical/blocker issues until the second week of July.
>> - On the second week of July, cut 4.20.0.0 RC1 and further RCs if
>> necessary, start/conclude vote, and finish release work.
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> João Jandre
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>