Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Jesús Martín <xe...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/29 18:19:19 UTC

muse with resources that are web services

Hello, I have different web services deployed in Axis 1.4. Now I want to
manage this web services with Muse (like resources). I tried the examples of
filesystem and host of Muse and it works. I read the Muse's documentation,
and I don't see how I can manage my web services that I deployed.
Another question: It's possible to run axis for my web services and Muse for
the web services management at the same time in Tomcat, or I must deploy all
the web services under Muse?

Thanks
Jesús

Re: muse with resources that are web services

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi,

It sounds like you're trying to implement WSDM MOWS (Management Of Web
Services), and I'm not sure how much support there is for that directly in
Muse 1.0. However, most of the MOWS features can be boiled down to
resource properties (some of which are metrics, but let's keep things
simple for now).

If you know how to read the property values you want to expose (number of
requests, avg. response time, etc.) in Axis, then you can create a
resource property for each of them and then the get/set implementation of
these properties should be a call down to the Axis/JAXRPC APIs needed to
get/set the value. Muse 1.0's ResourceProperty.setCallback() operation
could be used to provide the code that translates the WSRP operation(s)
into calls to the Axis/JAXRPC APIs and back.

I see no reason why your manageable web services couldn't be deployed in
Axis (as normal), alongside a completely separate service that had the
Muse interface. I'm no expert in the low-level Axis APIs that would give
you the property/metric info you want, but assuming it's available, you
can query Axis for the services it's hosting and expose their values via
WSRP.

Does this help clarify how to approach the problem?

Dan

Dan Jemiolo
IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC

+++ I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat
donuts. +++