Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/07/31 17:24:09 UTC

[LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.0.3 (or maybe 0.3)

Hi,

I have DataBindingTest working as well as it ever has (not pixel-perfect
yet, but getting closer), and I also tried Carlos’ suggestion and
installed the latest nightly build on Windows and was able to use Notepad
and the Command Prompt to cross-compile DataBindingTest without any
further setup.   So I think we really are on the runway for the next
release.  Here are some things I think we should consider doing before we
release, but I can probably be convinced to punt all of them to a future
release.  I’m just thinking it would be worth another week or two to add a
bit of polish (depending on what folks think we can drop, what new things
we add, and how many folks help out).

1) Tune FlexJSStore, ChartExample, DataGridExample, Mobile Trader - This
will help make sure the JS version will look like the AS version.  We’ve
made significant changes to the layout subsystem recently.

2) Fix the Function handling in JS so you get the same closure every time
[1].  Josh has worked around this in his example, but I think folks will
hit this a lot.

3) Move following examples to a new Test folder: ContainerTest,
FlexJSTest, ImageTest, ListsTest, LanguageTests, RollEventsTest,
VanillaSDK_POC

4) delete the following examples: StatesTest, StockQuote (these have been
incorporated into DataBindingTest)

5) rename DataBindingTest to DataBindingExample or FirstExample or
something like that

6) See if we can get DataBindingTest working with JQuery and CreateJS and
remove their FlexJSTest examples.

7) change version number to 0.3

8) HTML wrapper generator - I noticed when using just NotePad and Command
Prompt that no code generates the HTML wrapper for the SWF version.  There
are Ant tasks that do that, but can we require folks to have Ant?  I’m
thinking of adding an option to Falcon called -generate-html that controls
whether html wrappers are generated for both SWF and JS compilation.

9) JS swc examples - Did these get checked in somewhere?

10) Wiki doc - This can be done while the vote is underway, but the docs
could use an upgrade.

Thoughts?
-Alex

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Simulating+AS3+language+fe
atures+in+JavaScript+using+AMD+and+ES5#SimulatingAS3languagefeaturesinJavaS
criptusingAMDandES5-Boundmethods
[1] http://s.apache.org/gxi

Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.0.3 (or maybe 0.3)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Are you going to use an IDE or just text editor and command line?

I think the FB page is still ok.  If just text editor, we don’t have much
written on that workflow.  I think you just use the installer, then run
bin/mxmlc to create SWFs and js/bin/mxmlc to cross-compile.

-Alex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have DataBindingTest working as well as it ever has (not pixel-perfect
> yet, but getting closer), and I also tried Carlos’ suggestion and
> installed the latest nightly build on Windows and was able to use Notepad
> and the Command Prompt to cross-compile DataBindingTest without any
> further setup.   So I think we really are on the runway for the next
> release.  Here are some things I think we should consider doing before we
> release, but I can probably be convinced to punt all of them to a future
> release.  I’m just thinking it would be worth another week or two to add a
> bit of polish (depending on what folks think we can drop, what new things
> we add, and how many folks help out).

I agree, let's do some polish before we release.  I can help out with
things.  I will have some time over the next few days to spend on this.

> 1) Tune FlexJSStore, ChartExample, DataGridExample, Mobile Trader - This
> will help make sure the JS version will look like the AS version.  We’ve
> made significant changes to the layout subsystem recently.

Do you know what kind of 'tuning' is required?  If you can create a few
JIRA tickets for what you have in mind, I can start tackling them.

> 5) rename DataBindingTest to DataBindingExample or FirstExample or
> something like that

+1
*Example sounds better than *Test

> 6) See if we can get DataBindingTest working with JQuery and CreateJS and
> remove their FlexJSTest examples.

I realized a few days ago that the JQuery externs we are using contains
only JQuery - core and not JQueryUI, which contains all the cool UI
widgets.  Any chance we can an externs created for JQueryUI as well before
the release?

On that note, is there an easy way for noobs like me to create and work
with externs?  I hate to ask you or Mike for things like this.
Josh, you created one for CreateJS, any chance you can share a how-to
document for that?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I’ve updated the nightly build so that it matches the updates I just
made to this wiki page [1]

The cloning of repos and building them in the right order can now be
performed by an Ant script.  Install the nightly, then run ‘ant’ from
there and see if it works for you.  You will need to take care of the
“prerequisites” described in [1] first.  The script worked for me on Mac
and Win.

There are a lot of prerequisites, so I’m wondering if it is worth trying
to write a script to install the prerequisites?  And if so, where should
it start?  Should it install Ant?  Java?

Thoughts?
-Alex

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS+Developer+Setup

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I've got a version which is a mix of your map (with scale feature), the Mike example and mine that use jquery [1] but I compiled it in an IJ project, not Ant, it may have been built with but in 2 steps as per today, the FLEXJS_DUAL + conditional compilation in one shot is ready only for IJ and on the branch I'm working on at the moment.

Frédéric THOMAS

[1] https://gist.github.com/doublefx/8dfb8d751045c074e4df

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Awesome.  Every little bit helps.

-Alex

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I haven’t tried IJ yet.  I think Fred wrote up some stuff in emails but
not in the wiki yet.

-Alex

On 7/31/15, 10:52 PM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.