Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by isite <in...@isite-design.co.uk> on 2007/07/15 11:32:32 UTC

Messages with CC are duplicated via Argosoft

Hi,

I am using the Argosoft Mail serve Spamassassin plugin called ArgoSA that
uses the SA engine.

Here's what happens:

-Message is sent to user1@domain.com and cc'd to user2@domain.com
-Message is intercepted by SA and interrogated - two copies of the message
are delivered to each mailbox - one with the full SA headers and checking
report and the other seeming to have bypassed the check...

Has anyone else seen this and can anyone please advise on how to avoid the
dupliactes?

Best Regards

iSite

Re: Messages with CC are duplicated via Argosoft

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I am using the Argosoft Mail serve Spamassassin plugin called ArgoSA that
> uses the SA engine.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> -Message is sent to user1@domain.com and cc'd to user2@domain.com
> -Message is intercepted by SA and interrogated - two copies of the message
> are delivered to each mailbox - one with the full SA headers and checking
> report and the other seeming to have bypassed the check...

SA only adds markup to the message, it can't duplicate it, delete it, or
mail it to someone.

I'd ask on the ArgoSA mailing list.

        Loren

Re: Messages with CC are duplicated via Argosoft

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
This sounds similar to something that can happen with CommuniGate Pro
(CGP), but I've never used argosoft, so I wouldn't know.

In CGP, most rule actions are copy operations, so when you invoke
something you end up with 2 copies of the message: one that was operated
on, and one that was not.

If you're doing an "execute this program" rule action (as opposed to an
"external filter action"), then the executed program has to re-submit
the message in order to add content to it (like spam assassin headers).
  So it ends up looking like this:

if (some set of conditions) then
    [execute]  [my-spam-assassin-wrapper]
    [discard]

If you don't put the "discard" action in there, then you end up with 2
copies of the message.  1 that got scanned by spam assassin (and
re-submitted by "my-spam-assassin-wrapper") and one that did NOT get
scanned by spam assassin.

I would heavily test this before you put it into production though.
Putting the discard in the wrong place can cause you to lose email.
And, I have no idea if Argosoft has the same rule structure as CGP or
not.  It's just what I thought of when I read your problem.  But knowing
that this might be a similar situation might help you figure out what
Argosoft is doing.

Good luck.