Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ka...@rediffmail.com on 2011/10/03 08:42:37 UTC

Reg: Multicore vs singlecore.

hi,
I am new to solr, so just want to clarify on few points
I ran the test on the machine with following specification:-Ram : 5GBdual core : 2.66 GHzIndex Size : 10GB
1) Is the hard disk read time is a bottle neck on solr performance? I ran few tests using "jmeter" and analysis the system resources using "dstat". what I found is that cpu is 50% idle, 40% waiting and 10% actual user processing all the time. why cpu is in constant waiting state?
2) Atmost how many cores will give reasonable performance (under 2 second ) on the index of  10GB?
Hoping for a quick respone..ThanksKaran

Re: Reg: Multicore vs singlecore.

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM,  <ka...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> I am new to solr, so just want to clarify on few points
> I ran the test on the machine with following specification:-Ram : 5GBdual core : 2.66 GHzIndex Size : 10GB

* How much of the RAM is given to Solr, and how much is left
  for the OS disk cache.
* Where are your indexing data coming from? If it is a database,
   is that running on the same machine? Is network speed a factor?

> 1) Is the hard disk read time is a bottle neck on solr performance? I ran few tests using "jmeter" and analysis the system resources using "dstat". what I found is that cpu is 50% idle, 40% waiting and 10% actual user processing all the time. why cpu is in constant waiting state?

Disk read speed can be a factor, especially if there is not enough
RAM left for the OS disk cache.

> 2) Atmost how many cores will give reasonable performance (under 2 second ) on the index of &nbsp;10GB?

This depends on a lot of factors, including RAM, your data sources,
etc., but with plenty of RAM, databases on separate machines, and
assuming that the index can be sharded (merging after indexing is
also possible), we were seeing the indexing speed increase linearly
with the number of cores, up to at least 10 cores.

Regards,
Gora

Re: Reg: Multicore vs singlecore.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Describe your test more. If you're asking why
your CPU isn't pegged, I'd have to ask "Are
you firing queries at it rapidly enough?"

Best
Erick