Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2005/07/07 05:13:12 UTC

Invoking the deploy tool under a security manager and startup scripts

Resending this question as it was hidden in thread 'Re: Startup Scripts
discussion ( GERONIMO-693 )'

Should we be invoking the deploy tool in startup scripts with the
following (taken from GERONIMO-502)?

java -Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy=var/security/deployer.policy  -jar bin/deployer.jar
<standard> switches and parameters

If so, it appears that we would then want the izpack installation to
substitute the port numbers the user enters in the installer panels into
var/security/deployer.policy for ease of installation. Not sure if we need
to make changes to izpack (see link below) to support variable
substitution in policy files (AFAIK, policy files are supposed to be in
UTF8 encoding scheme, so the izpack VariableSubstitutor class may need to
be enhanced to have a TYPE_JAVA_POLICY that defaults to UTF8 encoding.

http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/izpack/izpack-src/src/lib/com/izforge/izpack/util/VariableSubstitutor.java?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

If not, why? Should we have a command line switch that turns the security
manager on/off?

Thanks,

John

Re: Invoking the deploy tool under a security manager and startup scripts

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 8/07/2005 8:29 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> sissonj@insession.com wrote, On 7/6/2005 8:13 PM:
>
>> Resending this question as it was hidden in thread 'Re: Startup
>> Scripts discussion ( GERONIMO-693 )'
>>
>> Should we be invoking the deploy tool in startup scripts with the
>> following (taken from GERONIMO-502)?
>>
>> java -Djava.security.manager
>> -Djava.security.policy=var/security/deployer.policy  -jar
>> bin/deployer.jar <standard> switches and parameters
>>

> I'm not sure that the Geronimo code works "properly" under the
> security manager.  That is something that needs to be cleaned up.
> Also, I am certain that the "satellite" projects will need to be
> scrutinized as well.

Actually, its only for the deployer and not for the server. Anyway, this
will be ditched.

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
I can easily implement that. At the same time, I propose to ditch
geronimo-classloader-server, which becomes dead code if we do no more
require remote class loading. I will ditch the module in 48h from now if
no one objects during this period.

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I believe a solution to the remote class loading problem is to
> wrap any deployment exceptions in such a way that you don't need the
> remote classes.  For example, print the stack trace of a QL exception to a
> String, pop that in a field of a DeploymentException, and send the
> DeploymentException without a linked QL exception.  Or better yet, forget
> the stack trace (or only print it on the server) and just print the actual
> error message on the client side (Can't deploy: your EJB QL is invalid:
> '...'").  That seems to make a lot more sense to me than allowing remote
> class loading just to print arbitrary exceptions.

Agreed.

I'd also agree that the stacktrace is of little value to the average
user and just logging the stacktrace on the server for "unusual"
problems would be enough.

--
Jeremy

Re: Invoking the deploy tool under a security manager and startup scripts

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Should we be invoking the deploy tool in startup scripts with the
> following (taken from GERONIMO-502)?
>
> java -Djava.security.manager
> -Djava.security.policy=var/security/deployer.policy  -jar bin/deployer.jar
> <standard> switches and parameters

Why? I wonder what the benefit would be of doing so? Please elaborate.

> John

Jacek