Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Paul Plaquette <pa...@linux.intel.com> on 2012/03/13 11:59:11 UTC

Cordova Port on Tizen

Hi everyone,

We’d like to advertise our on-going effort of porting PhoneGap on top of
Tizen platform https://www.tizen.org/

As it looked the most simple and natural way to us, we decided to
implement a JavaScript shim layer mapping PhoneGap APIs to corresponding
Tizen Web APIs (W3C or proprietary) available from its public web SDK.

Current developments under Apache 2.0 license are pushed here
https://github.com/otcshare/cordova-tizen

We are excited to contribute to the PhoneGap community and hope that we
can get some support.

Thanks
--
Paul Plaquette
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.
Great news! If I can assist you in any way let me know!

A few platforms also have a pure JS api:
- WebOS
- Blackberry Webworks
- WAC
- ...

We should discuss how we can implement the mapping using as much common
code as possible and include it in cordova-js.

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
This is awesome!

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Paul Plaquette <pa...@linux.intel.com>.
Hi Brian, Filip,

Thanks for your welcome.

The best place to learn more on the Tizen platform is the public project
web site www.tizen.org and the developers' web pages:
https://developer.tizen.org/
https://developer.tizen.org/documentation

You will find there public releases of the SDK (linux, windows) and
related documentation.

There's no Tizen devices available yet.

Tizen APIs are still subject to change (the current SDK is a Beta
release) so we are trying to stay in sync with them.

About porting Cordova to Tizen, we should use only W3C and Tizen Web
APIs (actually our preferred choice once they exist !). On the public
repository https://github.com/otcshare/cordova-tizen, you will find only
available W3C and Tizen Web APIs implementations.

When we started to work on porting PhoneGap callback-js was not yet
available, but we heard about that unifying effort so at some points, we
will have to integrate Tizen support in callback-js. Do you think we
should continue with our JavaScript shim-layer (inspired from the WebOS
one) or should we directly try to integrate it into callback-js? (or may
be both ?)

Last, next step is clearly to make cordova-tizen available through
Apache Foundation and we will work on ICLA thing asap.

Advices or suggestions are welcome.

Cordially,
Paul

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>Hi folks,
>
>An update on cordova-tizen port.
>
>As suggested we are investigating callback-js.
>Who may help us with question we may have on it?

I'm always available to answer questions on it. Lemme know if you need
help.

>We are still progressing on our "legacy" JavaScript shim-layer
>(notifications were committed, and contacts will be asap after the last
>release of the Tizen SDK train)
>
>How could we contribute to Cordova APIs evolution?

There is no process right now, we just kind of discuss it on the mailing
list I guess..

>How could we get information on future Cordova plug in architecture?

I've added more information on that to the PluginDesign wiki page [1].

Let me know if you have any other questions

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/PluginDesign

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Paul Plaquette <pa...@linux.intel.com>.
Hi folks,

An update on cordova-tizen port.

As suggested we are investigating callback-js.
Who may help us with question we may have on it?

We are still progressing on our "legacy" JavaScript shim-layer
(notifications were committed, and contacts will be asap after the last
release of the Tizen SDK train)

How could we contribute to Cordova APIs evolution?

How could we get information on future Cordova plug in architecture?

Regards,
Paul

Re: Cordova Port on Tizen

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Awesome! Gonna keep my eye out on that one :)

I would recommend checking out the unified javascript project for cordova,
which employs a structure to define the JS API for all cordova platforms.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-js

This is another platform that provides a pure JS API (along with BB
WebWorks and webOS).

Perhaps now is the time to come back to what Jesse / Drew / Gord brought
up a month or so ago about adding another level of granularity to
cordova-js (exec specifically)Š Figuring out, as Jesse called it, a native
exec "proxy" layer that will direct either straight to JavaScript or
invoke the platform's exec method to send a message to native APIs. (If so
let's go back to that thread and not derail this one as I'm already doing!)