Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Marc Lustig <ml...@marclustig.com> on 2009/06/19 14:28:20 UTC

Profiling results for Continuum

Hi there,
our teams have been suffering from the bad performance of the Continuum-UI
for a long time . I found now the time to profile one of our servers running
3 Continuum-1.2.2-instances (webapps) on a single Tomcat6, JDK6, RHEL4 and
Oracle-RAC as database-backend.

The tomcat-JVM is consuming between 150 and 200 % of our dual-core
Xeon-server.
This is just the tomcat-JVM, not any maven-process running aside.
And I am not talking about peaks, the load is as high like that for hours.

This is a snapshot taken by Jprofiler at a time without any user-activity on
one of the UI's.

the 3 threads causing the highest load are:
37,3% - 54.415 ms - 5 inv. org.jpox.AbstractPersistenceManager.detachCopyAll
13,6% - 19.842 ms - 14 inv.
org.codehaus.plexus.jdo.PlexusJdoUtils.getObjectById
34,5% - 50.362 ms - 4.480 inv.
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue.poll
(100% = total load caused by the JVM)

The first 2 threads are caused by the JDO-impl.  Is it possible that
Continuum has an extremely "bad" fetching stragety, e. g. doing all kinds of
unnecessary cascades? This is my first impression.

About the 3rd thread, I have no idea why this BlockingQueue is causing such
a tremendous load.
Could some of the developers please explain.  For what purpose is it used?
How can it be optimized?

thanks

Marc

Re: Profiling results for Continuum

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Marc Lustig<ml...@marclustig.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> our teams have been suffering from the bad performance of the Continuum-UI
> for a long time . I found now the time to profile one of our servers

I've also been struggling with performance problems lately, so thanks
for taking the time to do this and share your results!

We're discussing it on the dev list already and Carlos has made some
improvements in Redback, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to
what you've found.   Can you please take a look at the recent dev list
threads and reply (or re-post this) over there?
http://www.nabble.com/Continuum---Dev-f32242.html -> thread 'Adding
project groups takes longer and longer'.

--
Wendy