Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/12 03:20:59 UTC

Re: 404 Error in examples - found part

Yes Tomcat wouldnt start properly due to port 8005 was already in use and
the new Tomcat couldnt bind to it.  Now I have gotten to a point where I'm
unsure of how I fixed this yesterday.

Stand alone version of Tomcat is fine, JSP code works fine.  Go through
Apache and it renders the HTML properly but doesnt seem to understanding
whats happening on the page.

http://ns.serverwerkz.com/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp

Congratulations! You got it. And after just tries.
Care to try again? Welcome to the Number Guess game.

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100.

What's your guess?
Good guess, but nope. Try . You have made guesses.

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100.

What's your guess?

again this only happens if I access through apache. Stand alone is fine
http://ns.serverwerkz.com:8080/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp

Installing tomcat 5 on BSD 5

Posted by Thomas Cherry <jc...@mac.com>.
I'm trying to install tomcat onto a new FreeBSD system but I am getting
an error when I try to start the server.  After modifying
setclasspath.sh to output more information and to use classes.zip, I
ran catalina.sh and got the following output:

# ./catalina.sh run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/jdk1.1.8
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/lib/classes.zip:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18/
bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18/bin/commons-logging-
api.jar
Error loading class org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap: Bad major
version number

My java version is 1.1.8.  Will Tomcat 5 run under this version of
java? (I'm starting to think no)

--
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of
the Force. -Darth Vader, Sith Lord.

RE: PROBLEM STARTING TOMCAT----------------PLEASE HELP

Posted by "Filip Hanik (lists)" <de...@hanik.com>.
if you cant ping localhost then your network isn't configured.
go on the MS website and troubleshoot

Filip;

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Sunit,

Go to Network Connections.
How many connections do you have?
Open each and see what device it uses. Listed at the top in the box that
says connect using: Or scroll right in Network Connections.
For the one that is the loopback go in and set a gateway as the same as the
ip you set.  Also check to see if the fire wall is enabled. Look on the
advanced tab. Disable it if it is. Click on the configure button beside the
loopback device. Does it show that it is working properly? If you have any
other network connections other than the loopback, right click them and
disable them.

Doug

Posted by Sunit Bansal <su...@nous.soft.net>.

Posted by pa...@tcs.com.
> [...]

Make sure connection is Enabled when viewed from Network Connections.
You should see the IP in the Details window located in the lower left of
the
window when you select the connection. Until you have this fixed you will
be
unable to get TC to run. If after this you are still unable to get a ping
127.0.0.1 to work then you have some issues that need resolved and are off
topic for the list (IMHO).

Good Luck
Doug
www.parsonstechnical.com

> TCP/IP is already installed using MS loop back adapter.
>
> In command promt I tried doing ipcofig: it gives error
> Also ping localhost, ping 127.0.0.0, ping 127.0.0.1 gives following
error
> "Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2"

ping to the ip which u configured in ur new settings. and use that

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Sunit,

> [...]

> java.net.SocketException: Network is down: JVM_Bind
> at
> org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.start(CoyoteConnector.java:1182)
> at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:506)
> at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
> at

org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.start(CatalinaService.java:273)
> at

> )
> at

> .java:25)
> at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java:245
> )
> at

org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:307)

Bansal,
as said earlier configure the MS loop back adapter..though you may have a
netwrok card installed
it may not be configured properly..can you see any LAN connection in
Network and Dial up connections..
though you are not in a network, configuring MS Lop back adapter solves
your problem..

 Pavan Kumar
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: pavan.k@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Sunit Bansal" <su...@nous.soft.net>
02/16/2004 11:31 PM

Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: PROBLEM STARTING TOMCAT----------------PLEASE HELP

Sorry for late reply.
Its a standalone with network card installed. Also when I tried pinging
localhost, it failed gave error 2 back.

Re: Starting tomcat with a lowlevel user?

Posted by Sunitha Kumar <su...@cisco.com>.
Looks like a permissions problem. The files should all be owned by user
tomcat..

developer@wexwarez.com wrote:

>I am trying to start tomcat with the "tomcat" user on my debian box.  I am
>using tomcat 5 untarred just now.  I can start tomcat with root manually
>just fine but I would like tomcat to run as the "tomcat" user.  I created
>the tomcat user:
>tomcat4:x:103:65534::/usr/share/tomcat4:/bin/false
>
>I created a startup script modelled after the one that comes with debian,
>it acts like it starts but doesnt.
>And my start up script is:
>       echo -n "Starting $DESC using Java from $JAVA_HOME: "
>        touch "$PIDFILE" "$LOGDIR/catalina.out" || true
>        chown --dereference "$TOMCAT_USER" "$PIDFILE" "$LOGDIR" \
>            "$LOGDIR/catalina.out" "$CATALINA_HOME/work" \
>            "$CATALINA_HOME/temp" || true
>        if start-stop-daemon --test --start --pidfile "$PIDFILE" \
>                --user $TOMCAT_USER --startas "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" \
>                >/dev/null; then
>                # -p preserves the environment (for $JAVA_HOME etc.)
>                # -s is required because tomcat's login shell is /bin/false
>                su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT_USER -c \
>                         $DAEMON start $STARTUP_OPTS \
>                        >>"$LOGDIR/catalina.out" 2>&1
>                echo "$NAME."
>        else
>                echo "(already running)."
>        fi
>==> /usr/share/tomcat/logs/catalina.out <==
>Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat
>Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat
>Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat/temp
>Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/java/javahome
>Can't load server.xml
>Can't load server.xml
>Feb 11, 2004 6:59:02 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
>INFO: Server startup in 0 ms
>java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>        at
>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
>        at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:297)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:398)
>Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:661)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:621)
>        ... 6 more
>When I attempt to start it my log spits out this:

Sunitha Kumar
Software Engineer
http://www.cisco.com

Starting tomcat with a lowlevel user?

Posted by de...@wexwarez.com.

Posted by Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fi...@terra.es>.
Didier McGillis wrote:

> Yes Tomcat wouldnt start properly due to port 8005 was already in use
> and the new Tomcat couldnt bind to it.  Now I have gotten to a point
> where I'm unsure of how I fixed this yesterday.
>
> Stand alone version of Tomcat is fine, JSP code works fine.  Go
> through Apache and it renders the HTML properly but doesnt seem to
> understanding whats happening on the page.
>
> http://ns.serverwerkz.com/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp
>
> Congratulations! You got it. And after just tries.
> Care to try again? Welcome to the Number Guess game.
>
> I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100.
>
> What's your guess?
> Good guess, but nope. Try . You have made guesses.
>
> I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100.
>
> What's your guess?
>
> again this only happens if I access through apache.

As I see you have everything in the same box...

Make sure your DocumentRoot is NOT pointing to the webapps folder of
Tomcat. Set it to any other place you like, but not there ;-)

It seems that Apache is not asking Tomcat but is serving the content itself.

Yours,

Antonio Fiol