Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Steven J Baker <sj...@ambrielconsulting.com> on 2002/03/08 16:27:51 UTC

ASBuilder sample appears not to work with Xerces-J-2.0.1

Hi,

With Xerces-J-2.0.1, the ASBuilder sample does not appear to work as
expected. I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar problems.

First I export my CLASSPATH to include xerces-J-2.0.0, xml-apis and
dom.ASBuilder.  If I run:

   java dom.ASBuilder -f -a Response.xsd -i sampleResponse.xml

validation happens as expected.

If I change the classpath to the new Xerces-J-2.0.1 jars (built from the
source distribution), I find:

    java dom.ASBuilder  # gives the usage message, so ok
    java dom.ASBuilder -f -a Response.xsd # runs with no output, so ok

but

   java dom.ASBuilder -f -a Response.xsd -i sampleResponse.xml

gives

[Warning] sampleResponse.xml:1:66: schema_reference.4: Failed to read
schema document 'null', because 1) could not find the document; 2) the
document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not
<xsd:schema>.
[Error] sampleResponse.xml:1:66: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration
of element 'Response'.
[Warning] sampleResponse.xml:2:12: schema_reference.4: Failed to read
schema document 'null', because 1) could not find the document; 2) the
document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not
<xsd:schema>.
[Error] sampleResponse.xml:2:12: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration
of element 'Summary'.
(etc...)

and

1 - The document was found ok by Xerces-J-2.0.0
2 - The file permissions are world-readable (and see point 1)
3 - The root of the schema document is <xsd:schema> with the namespace
xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' (and see point 1)

This happens whether I use jdk 1.3.1 or 1.4.

Feedback much appreciated, even (especially?) if it is to point out some
stupidity on my part ;)

Steve Baker
--
Steven J Baker                 Ambriel Consulting
http://ambrielconsulting.com