Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2015/05/09 10:39:09 UTC

Re: Component adding hotkeys

> I think it's a nice idea, we have same the same feedback.
>
> For me it should be in core once linux issue is fixed, what about tested
> platforms:
> - Windows 8? 7 ?
> - Linux
> - Mac OSX ? which os ?
>
> Regarding other questions, answers inline.
>
> Regards
> On Monday, April 27, 2015, Andrey Pokhilko <apc4@ya.ru
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','apc4@ya.ru');>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have colleagues that do heavy JMeter scripting and they come with idea
>> to speed-up the process: have hotkeys to add JMeter components to test
>> plan. Using a hotkey eliminates the need to walk through context menus.
>> As always, Pareto principle states that 80% of a time people use 20% of
>> components, so small set of hotkeys would cover most of situations.
>>
>> I have implemented this feature as Ctrl+0 .. Ctrl+9 hotkey set, with
>> components configurable through properties. Components are added as a
>> child of current position, if possible, or a sibling at the nearest
>> possible scope. I provided my colleagues with patched JMeter and they
>> found the feature working smoothly.
>>
>> Pull request for easy review is here:
>> https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/16 , I will create bugzilla for
>> this when needed.
>>
>> As always I ask if other committers support adding this into main JMeter
>> codebase or not.
>>
>> Some notes/questions from my side:
>>
>>    * Where is appropriate place in the docs to document this feature?
>
> Somewhere where Search Feature and templates are documented
>

>>    * Are defaults good? What are most used JMeter components?
>

> I would remove or put them at end:
> View Results Tree
> User Defined Variables
> Test Fragment
>
> as although popular you rarely add more than 2 or 3.
>
> I would add :
> - Css/JQuery extractor
> - Jsr223 Post processor
> - Test Action for the timer discussion we had
> - JSR223 Pre processir
> -Debug Sampler

Often the interesting shortcuts depend on the type of test your are
preparing. So I wonder if there could be a new hotkey config element one
could include in a test plan, that - if found - would override the
configured JMeter hotkeys with the ones defined in this element. With
that you would carry your hotkeys with your test plan (and hopefully
templates).

Now that maybe would open a can of worms, because the same idea could be
useful for other settings as well and user could start to demand more
and more GUI for JMeter user properties setting. So maybe another idea
could be a startup config element in a plan that would contain a list
(key, value) of additional user properties that would be merged after
properties because it comes too late for some, but for many it could
work and be helpful.

Probably all too complex but wanted to throw the idea up in the air.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Component adding hotkeys

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Interesting idea although I think it is not regular compared to how other
tools work like for example eclipse, pspad, ultraedit, netbeans,
openoffice, mstools...

Usually shortcuts are configurable through a screen in the editor for all
files.

The idea of a gui (not config element because for me it belongs in another
field) is interesting but requires a bit more work.

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.