Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Justin Robinson <ju...@venturenet.co.za> on 2011/04/08 16:22:11 UTC

Problems with initial tax setup

I've read the recent stuff on the ml regarding tax/vat, and it seems
everyone with issues, have them further, down the line I can't even
get sales tax to be listed on order at all. The strange thing is that
it was being calculated, though incorrectly, before I removed the demo
data. The only difference between my data and the demo data is I have
no need for a hierarchy of tax authorities, tax is the same country
wide so I just set up one authority in the accounting manager,
expecting it to be applied since all the geoId's are the same.

Am not sure where it matches the geoId's is a table still needed if
there's only one? Is it based on the customer address?

So in accounting manager I've setup:
o Tax Authority - my single tax authority
o Categories - relevant product categories (if the match is based on
geo, am not sure why/if this is necessary)
o GL Accounts - SALES TAX COLLECTED that I'd set up (been wondering
how I'll balance purchase vat with sales vat with only one account
associated with the authority - but will leave such questions till
after the initial tax config)
o Associations - there aren't any because there's only one authority
o Product Rates - using type 'sales tax' since it seems vat handling
is under developed & would like to get my first pass tax simulation,
happening
o Parties - the company

Then in the catalog manger under stores:
Prorate Taxes: N
Show prices with VAT tax included: Y
Show Tax Is Exempt: Y
Vat Tax Auth Geo Id: ZAF
Vat Tax Auth Party Id: ZA_SARS

Is there prehaps some other place one needs to configure tax?

It did occur to me that perhaps there was some mismatch between, the
'sales tax' type in 'Product Rates' of accounting manager & the 'Vat
Tax Auth Geo Id' of store settings in catalog manager, but I tried
changing them with no effect.

The fact that most posts on the subject show issues furthure down the
line indicate I've missed something.
Please if anyone can make some suggestions?
Thanks.

Justin
Venture-Net Research & Development

Re: Problems with initial tax setup

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Justin,

I'm uncomfortable with using a dummy product store for VAT tax paid on
purchases. If your organisation had two facilties in two different locations
such that different tax rules applied, a dummy product store wouldn't solve
the problem.

I think the right answer is to change TaxAuthorityRateProduct so it holds
the geographical location of both the buyer and the seller. Then TARP rules
could be applied to both sales and purchases.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

Posted by Justin Robinson <ju...@venturenet.co.za>.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply, having had to do a customization on the, 5000
lines of code ShoppingCart last month, I've been having nightmares
about this VAT issue all weekend. I added some debug statements and
rebuild & for whatever reason it's now calculating sales tax on orders
for my single tax authority. Obviously there is a god and he's down
with tax.
As for the lack of purchase related VAT infastructure, I was thinking
of using a dummy store for purchasing as they have done in opentaps.

In your email: Re: Display VAT on checkout pages

"To me, the tax types SALES_TAX and VAT_TAX are almost the same thing *for a

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Justin,