Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/09/06 17:05:42 UTC

New style is now live

The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/

Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.

Still lots of work to do, of course.

Joshua.

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> 'Description' in the directive should be the same blue style as the other
> field titles (e.g. 'Syntax', 'Default', 'Context' etc).

The proper way to fix this is to add a "Description" section to
directive-dict and module-dict, and then provide a link like all the
others.  I've meant to do this since I first created the xml, but I've
never gotten around to it.

> Also, the
> underbar on
> those field titles is overkill, a hover effect would be fine, I think.

I tend to agree, although there is something to be said for the
consistency of it: if it is a link, it is underlined.  I'm not going to
change this at the moment, but if someone feels they can improve things,
please feel free...

> Also, on the main index page, with a narrow window, the wrapped text
> links get hard to follow (it's hard to distinguish one from the next due
> to insufficient leading between items or lack of indentation clues.)

Yah, I can add a little margin-top to the <td> elements.

Joshua.

Re: New style is now live

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:25 PM 9/6/2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.
>
>This looks really great, people.

++1 ... this is terrific!

>Nit:

how about two more little nits...

'Description' in the directive should be the same blue style as the other
field titles (e.g. 'Syntax', 'Default', 'Context' etc).  Also, the underbar on
those field titles is overkill, a hover effect would be fine, I think.

Also, on the main index page, with a narrow window, the wrapped text
links get hard to follow (it's hard to distinguish one from the next due
to insufficient leading between items or lack of indentation clues.)

Bill

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:05:42AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > > The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> > >
> > > Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.
> >
> > Great job guys! This deserves an announcement as well as a front-page
> > httpd.apache.org piece.
>
> Probably jumped the gun a little, but I posted something on /. as folks
> have probably already noticed.

I suppose I should offer a URL:

http://apache.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/06/1746244

since this may not show up for everyone on the front page if they have
different preference settings than I do.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:05:42AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> >
> > Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.
>
> Great job guys! This deserves an announcement as well as a front-page
> httpd.apache.org piece.

Probably jumped the gun a little, but I posted something on /. as folks
have probably already noticed.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New
York (not the same, though it might appear so)
	Somebody's Luggage (Charles Dickens)

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:05:42AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
>
> Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.

Great job guys! This deserves an announcement as well as a front-page
httpd.apache.org piece.

-aaron

Re: New style is now live

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> > Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.
> > Still lots of work to do, of course.
>
> Well done, gentlemen!  It does look quite good.

I agree.  I just took a look at it, and the docs look fantastic.

Ryan

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.
> Still lots of work to do, of course.

Well done, gentlemen!  It does look quite good.

--Cliff

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
WoW ! My Compliments !

Dw.

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Joshua Slive:

> The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
>
> Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.

Great work!

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht           - This signature intentionally says nothing.
lars@hyperreal.org

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Rich Bowen wrote:
> Nit: On the files in howto/ the top left "Back" link takes one to a
> directory listing. I suppose the right thing to do is make an index page
> in that directory, and I always sort of assumed there was one, although
> I don't know why I thought that.

Yes, a howto/index.xml should be added.  I think it might also be a good
idea to add a new element to the DTD -- something like <parent-document
href="...">How-To</parent-document> -- that we can use both to provide
the URL for the "Back" link and another level for the breadcrumb links.
  This would allow us to add a little more structure that is not
dependent on directory-structure.

I haven't done it yet because I'm not sure how general it should be.
For example, do we want to support "grandparents".

Joshua.

Re: New style is now live

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> The new style is now live on http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
>
> Congrats to everyone who worked on it.  I think it looks very nice.

This looks really great, people.

Nit: On the files in howto/ the top left "Back" link takes one to a
directory listing. I suppose the right thing to do is make an index page
in that directory, and I always sort of assumed there was one, although
I don't know why I thought that.

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -