Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Karl Kildén <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/06 10:57:34 UTC

Help with design choice: join or multiValued field

Hello!

I have Items and I have Shops. This is a e-commerce system with items from
thousands of shops all though the inventory is often similar between shops.
Some users can shop from any shop and some only from their default one.

One item can exist in about 10000 shops.

   - When a user logs in they may have a shop pre selected so when they
   search for items we need to get all matching documents but if it's' found
   in their pre selected shop we should mark it out in the UI.
   - They need to be able to filter out only items in their current shop
   - Items found in their shop should always be boosted heavily

TLDR:

Either we just have a multiValued field on the item document with all
shops. This would be a multivalued field with 10000 rows

Or

Could we have a new document ShopItem that has the shopId and the itemId
(think join table). Then we join this document instead... But we still need
to get the Item document back, and we need bq boosting on item?

Re: Help with design choice: join or multiValued field

Posted by Karl Kildén <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply! We did it this way and it's seems to turn out really
well

From: Karl Kildén <ka...@gmail.com> <ka...@gmail.com>
Date: February 6, 2017 at 5:57:41 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org <so...@lucene.apache.org>