Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Abel Souza <ab...@cs.umu.se> on 2018/06/12 13:12:58 UTC

mesos-execute cmd

Hello,

I believe this question relates to the framework used by the
mesos-execute command (available by default in Mesos installation):

When I request a number of cores greater than what is available in one
single node, the mesos-execute automatically turn down all offers made
by Mesos and hangs forever. E.g.: Each agent node in my cluster has 8
cores, and when I request 9 cores through mesos-execute
--resources='cpus:9', the command waits forever. But If I execute
mesos-execute --resources='cpus:8', tasks start execution right away.

So I would like to know if there is a way to enable the mesos-execute to
handle situations where multiple nodes are needed to satisfy a resource
request. If so, what would be needed?

Thank you,

/Abel Souza

Re: mesos-execute cmd

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
> In relation to your last comment, it does make sense to launch one task
on multiple nodes: think about fault tolerance, where one needs replicas in
case of failures in the datacenter.

The use case that you mentioned makes sense, but that is not launching one
Mesos task on multiple nodes, instead it is launching an application which
has multiple instances and each instance (as a Mesos task) is launched on a
different node (You can try Marathon which is a popular Mesos framework, it
supports this use case). In Mesos, you can never launch a single task on
multiple nodes.

Regards,
Qian Zhang

Re: mesos-execute cmd