Posted to user@spark.apache.org by ved_kpl <ve...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/22 07:39:47 UTC

Spark on Mesos failure, when launching a simple job

I have been trying to learn spark on mesos, but the spark-shell just keeps on
ignoring the offers. Here is my setup:

All the components are in the same subnet

- 1 mesos master  on EC2 instance (t2.micro)

  command: `mesos-master  --work_dir=/tmp/abc --hostname=<public IP>`

- 2 mesos agents (each with 4 cores, 16 GB ram and 30 GB disk space)

   command: `mesos-slave --master="<private IP of master>:5050"
--hostname="<public IP>" --work_dir=/tmp/abc`

- 1 spark-shell (client) on ec2 instance (t2.micro)
  I have set the following environment variables on this instance before
launching the spark-shell

     export MESOS_NATIVE_JAVA_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/libmesos.so
     export
SPARK_EXECUTOR_URI=https://d3kbcqa49mib13.cloudfront.net/spark-2.1.1-bin-hadoop2.7.tgz

  and then I launch the the spark-shell as follows

    ./bin/spark-shell --master mesos://172.31.1.93:5050     (with private IP
of the master)

Once the spark-shell is up, I run the simplest program possible

    val f = sc.textFile ("/tmp/ok.txt");
    f.count()

and it fails. Here are the logs

https://pastebin.ca/3815427

Note: I have not set SPARK_LOCAL_IP on the spark shell.
I am using mesos 1.2.0 and spark 2.1.1 on ubuntu 16.04. I have verified by
writing a small node.js based http client and the offers from the master
seem fine. What possibly is going wrong here?