Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Colin Young <Co...@tembizi.com> on 2006/01/05 04:08:12 UTC

Opening (and building) the lucene source in eclipse

So far I've succeeded in grabbing the latest source (and I can build
with ant), but now I'm trying to open it in eclipse by creating a new
"Java Project from Existing And Buildfile," but when I attempt to open
build.xml, I get an alert telling me that the "Specified buildfile does
not contain a javac task." Examining the 3 build files, I do see that in
common-build.xml there appears to be a javac task there. I don't know if
it's just that the eclipse ant import has trouble following includes, or
if I'm missing something (I'm not that familiar with either ant or
eclipse).

What I'm really trying to do is create a jar with lucene and the Berkely
DB JE code from Aaron Donovan (ported from Andi Vajda's BDB code). If I
stick the source into the store/je directory, I get a bunch of errors,
and I'm sure I could eventually figure them all out, but my life would
be made much easier with a nice IDE to work in.

Thanks for any tips (I really hope that in the very near future I'll
actually be able to contribute something positive once I manage to get
this thing built).

Colin

Notice: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: Opening (and building) the lucene source in eclipse

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 5, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Colin Young wrote:
> Just curious, but when one is desiring to make use of stuff in the
> contrib is there any particular reason to compile it into the
> Lucene jar, or include it in the project that's making use of it,
> or is it really just up to the preferences of the developer using
> it or the needs of the environment?

IDE builds aren't official with Lucene.  All releases are built with
the command-line using Ant.  The way the contrib build works is that
each builds it's own JAR.  The core of Lucene is its own separate JAR
also.  I would not recommend merging everything into one JAR, but
certainly there is no problem with doing so.

	Erik

RE: Opening (and building) the lucene source in eclipse

Posted by Colin Young <Co...@tembizi.com>.
I did manage to get things built with ant this morning (I had some time and space on the train) including the DBDJE support, although I wasn't aware any of it had been checked into contrib. I'll have to grab that tonight.
�
I had tried building a normal Eclipse project, but was having some problems with it. At least now I can build from the command line. Now I just need to figure out who to report the Eclipse/Ant problems to...
�
Just curious, but when one is desiring to make use of stuff in the contrib is there any particular reason to compile it into the Lucene jar, or include it in the project that's making use of it, or is it really just up to the preferences of the developer using it or the needs of the environment?
�
Thanks for your patience with my question. I've made some really good progress in the last couple days, so it looks like I'll be giving the BDBJE integration a good workout this weekend.
�
Colin

  _____

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/06, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>  my recommendation is to simply set up
> a normal Eclipse project.

I use IntelliJ, and that's how I do it (a normal IntelliJ project).

-Yonik

Re: Opening (and building) the lucene source in eclipse

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Colin,