Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com> on 2013/04/28 14:49:04 UTC

Introducing 'cloudmanage' (name tbd)

Hi guys,

Few months ago I started working on small Sinatra app[3] that leverage
Sidekiq[1] framework to run certain Deltacloud jobs on background.
While all this effort was something like a PoC of 'tracker' app, it
turns out it could be changed a bit to serve as a Deltacloud UI with
background jobs :-)

This app use mounted[2] approach and mounts Deltacloud API as a Rack
app. Using this you can do following:

* Add your accounts (all deltacloud providers)
* Import provider images for accounts (as async task)
* Create an SSH key/password/etc and assign it to the image
* Launch the image and choose what scripts should be pushed into instance

Then this app will do following:

* Push a script into the instance once SSH is ready
* Connect to the instance via SSH and execute 'vmstat' to gather some
basic metrics (CPU, memory ;) (no UI for this right now ;)

I really sux in UI design, so I used twitter bootstrap CSS to provide
some minimal UI for all this.

I hope it could be useful for some, and provide an easy way for
launching instances in cloud and pushing scripts into that instances :)

I don't have any plans on extending this app, but I welcome all
ideas/suggestions/patches/issues :-)

   -- Michal

[1] http://sidekiq.org/
[2] http://mfojtik.im/add-deltacloud-to-my-application
[3] https://github.com/deltacloud/cloudmanage

--

Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>
Deltacloud API, CloudForms

Re: Introducing 'cloudmanage' (name tbd)

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michal,

Il 4/28/13 2:49 PM, Michal Fojtik ha scritto:
> Hi guys,
>
> Few months ago I started working on small Sinatra app[3] that leverage
> Sidekiq[1] framework to run certain Deltacloud jobs on background.
> While all this effort was something like a PoC of 'tracker' app, it
> turns out it could be changed a bit to serve as a Deltacloud UI with
> background jobs :-)
>
> This app use mounted[2] approach and mounts Deltacloud API as a Rack
> app. Using this you can do following:
>
> * Add your accounts (all deltacloud providers)
> * Import provider images for accounts (as async task)
> * Create an SSH key/password/etc and assign it to the image
> * Launch the image and choose what scripts should be pushed into instance
>
> Then this app will do following:
>
> * Push a script into the instance once SSH is ready
> * Connect to the instance via SSH and execute 'vmstat' to gather some
> basic metrics (CPU, memory ;) (no UI for this right now ;)
>
> I really sux in UI design, so I used twitter bootstrap CSS to provide
> some minimal UI for all this.

It's a great PoC !! :)

> I hope it could be useful for some, and provide an easy way for
> launching instances in cloud and pushing scripts into that instances :)

For sure, seems very interesting!
> I don't have any plans on extending this app, but I welcome all
> ideas/suggestions/patches/issues :-)

Well, it's on Github, for sure someone will be interested about it!

Thanks for doing this Michal, it will help the project to proof how
powerful it is Deltacloud :)

Cheers,
-FV