Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2005/11/03 05:39:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Serious Memory Leak Problem

I've asked about this before and never got an answer that solved the
problem. I used to run my server on a dual xeon computer and it was very
memory efficient. I moved to the 64 bit version of of Fedora Core 4 and
now it's filling up memory really fast.

Both servers had 4 gigs of ram. And basically the same configuration
file using the same modules for both. It is especially bad where perl is
involved.

Now I have to set MaxRequestsPerChild to no more than 10 to keep ram
from filling up.  The server is rather busy serving 67 requests per
second.  If I set MaxRequestsPerChild to 30 - it quickly fills up
another gig of ram.

Here's some data I saved:

On the new server running top it shows *httpd* processes using:

virt 201m
res 53m
shr 11m

On the old server the *httpd* process show:

virt: 50k
res 14m
shr 10k

That's quite a difference.

What can I do to nail this down. Or - is the 64 bit version just broken?
Or is the a Dual Core Athlon related problem?

I really need to fix this. Sure could use some help on trying to figure
out where the problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Serious Memory Leak Problem

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Nick Kew wrote:

>On Thursday 03 November 2005 04:39, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>>Serious Memory Leak Problem
>>

>Last time you posted this, I asked if you'd compiled it yourself,
>and you said no.  Please at the very least *do that* before
>complaining here.  Some third-party packages not working
>correctly on your hardware is not our problem.

I seriously doubt that the one that comes with Fedora Core 4 is the
problem otherwise there would be a lot more people complaining.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com