Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve <to...@sbtt.net> on 2004/06/10 16:51:45 UTC

Denial Service Attack Prevention apache-tomcat modjk2

Looking for a solution to prevent a user from click multiply times on a
function in which the application is still performing from the first click.

The user thinkgs the app is not responding where in fact it is, then
causing the app to take a dump from multiply request.

Using cisco css LB into --> Apache, mod_jk2 into tomcat 4.1.29

any tips or pointers greatly appr

-s

Re: Using Tomcat's HTTP processor and SSL

Posted by Michael Echerer <me...@tngtech.com>.

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> I am considering using Tomcat alone as my HTTP server as well as my servlet
> container with SSL.  I know a lot of people use Apache HTTP Server instead
> of Tomcat for this and Tomcat is just the servlet container only.
>
> Is there any reason why I should not use just Tomcat alone for this.  I'm
> actually using JBOSS with Tomcat, but Tomcat still handles the HTTP
> requests.  I have no static pages on my site.
>
> Seems like a hassle to configure a separate server (Apache HTTP) when I
> don't have to.
In case you don't need loadbalacing, you can live without Apache in that
scenario.

> Also, are there any difficulties configuring Tomcat with SSL?
It's not more difficult than using Apache. I would say it's even easier
to setup Tomcat than Apache for SSL.

But note: You should NOT use Tomcat+SSL, if you expect high HTTPS load.
Standard Java&SSL is not too fast. In my load tests Apache/Tomcat is
much faster for HTTPS than standalone Tomcat HTTPS, but it doesn't make
a difference for HTTP (at least as long as you also have dynamic content).

Posted by Alex Burton <al...@e-plus.com.au>.
We found the performance of Tomcat running SSL pretty useless in
production. Is fine for development, but in production we run Apache
HTTP in the front to off load the SSL number crunching into native code.
Works a treat. Also gives you the benifit of being able to load balance
multiple tomcats and to have apache serve up a maintenance page when we
update code. Seems Apache queues up requests better too.

Cheers,
Alex.

Posted by Gabi <ga...@idieikon.com>.
In what I've read people use Apache+Tomcat because better performance in
apache serving static content, and the potential to use PHP served by apache
for example.
In the case that you only use dinamic java code, it's better because it's
easier to mantain one service that two!!!
But I'ver read too that performance for SSL is far better in apache so
people make the ssl in apache and serve dinamic content with tomcat, but
I've no experience (until now) so I'm talking only what I've read...

Using Tomcat's HTTP processor and SSL

Posted by Jim Kennedy <jg...@mindspring.com>.

I am considering using Tomcat alone as my HTTP server as well as my servlet
container with SSL configured.  I know a lot of people use Apache HTTP
Server instead
of Tomcat for this and Tomcat is just the servlet container only.

Is there any reason why I should not use just Tomcat alone for this.  I'm
actually using JBOSS with Tomcat, but Tomcat still handles the HTTP and
servlet
requests.  I have no static pages at all on my site.

Seems like a hassle to configure a separate server (Apache HTTP) when I
don't have to.  Unless there is a good reason (i.e. performance) to do so.

I am using v4.1.28