Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jo...@cit.de on 2003/04/24 18:27:31 UTC

Configuring a global "well-known" custom tag library

Hi all,

is there a possibility to configure a global custom taglib in Tomcat
4.1.24? "Global" meaning that the taglib should be available to all web
applications deployed, but without a JAR and/or TLD and/or web.xml taglib
directive added to each single webapp?

The JSP 1.2 specification, section 7.3.9 "Well-known URIs", says that a
container _may_ provide such a feature.

However, both from experimenting and looking at the source code I found no
way to do this in Tomcat. I tried to add a taglib directive to the global
CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml, which is processed, but I found no way to
specify a path to a JAR or TLD there. Either the taglib-location starts
with a '/' (in which case the path is treated context-relative) oder it
doesn't (in which case a "/WEB-INF/" is prepended, which again makes it
context-relative).

Putting a JAR file with a packaged TLD file into the
CATALINA_HOME/common/lib folder does not work, either (the classes are
loaded, of course, but not the TLD).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Jochen