Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2018/03/30 00:30:58 UTC

All,

Occasionally, we all have the need to give a reference to a presentation
to someone e.g. on the users mailing list. For example:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6b604dd26142038a4abb1c378af49beee12d4ae1d2d8dc65391fd701@%3Cusers.tomcat.apache.org%3E

In that case, I gave a direct link to a specific presentation (my
Monitoring w/JMX presentation from ApacheCon NA 2016).

I think this isn't good for 2 reasons:

1. Links are fragile. I may remove my presentation from
people.a.o/~username, that stuff may be relocated, etc.

2. It may not be the most up-to-date version of that presentation. I
gave a similar talk at ApacheCon NA 2015 but the 2016 version is better.
If I do another one in 2018, presumably it will be the best, most
up-to-date one and yet I've emailed-out links directly to the 2017 (and
presumably 2015) version.

3. It avoids the Tomcat "presentations" page. Presumably, someone
interested in one presentation may be interested in the others.

The alternative is to say "go to /presentations.html" and search for
"topic X", but as that page fills-up, I suspect people will be unlikely
to actually find and read the document. I think a direct-link is
probably best, if possible.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to fix these. My initial idea was
something like an "always up-to-date link to presentation X" where X is
whatever presentations we often refer to (e.g. Mark's "tracking-down
memory leaks in web applications"). That doesn't fix issue #3 but maybe
someone else has an idea.

What are our options when it comes to something like a URL which is an
alias to the "latest presentation X"? If I were in control of the web
server(s), I'd use something like mod_alias to perform a
temporary-redirect from tomcat.apache.org/presentations/current-X to
people.a.o/~user/whatever. That just needs to be updated any time the
presentation is updated.

That's a little fragile, too, since anyone making a presentation would
have to register the presentation under a well-known name and then
submit requests to update it. That means work for someone here (likely
Mark, part of Infra). Is there a way we could do this such that any
committer could update such redirects?

Any other thoughts or ideas?

In order to satisfy #3 above, perhaps we could have a dynamic (or maybe
auto-generated but not actually dynamic) page which lists all the
presentation topics and floats the "requested" one up to the top.
Something like:

[Tomcat Presentations]

You have requested the latest version of "Monitoring Tomcat w/JMX". You
can find it here: [direct link to latest]

You may be interested in these other presentations as well:

* [Other topic A, link to latest]
* [Other topic B, link to latest]
* ...

Or even more good stuff: [link to /presentations.html]

WDYT?

Thanks,
-chris

Re: Permalinks to presentations

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rainer,

On 3/29/18 9:51 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Or even more good stuff: [link to /presentations.html]
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Our ASF link shortener s.apache.org seems to allow to edit shortened
> URLs later. So this would give us:
>
> - short auto.generated permalink or alternatively a self-chosen URI
> - the ability to change the target of the permalink if necessary
>
> I don't know whether only the creator of the original short link can
> edit it, but I think so. Just try the freshly created:
>
> https://s.apache.org/tomcat-jmx-presentation.pdf
>
> and after you have seen the redirect, got the the mini-GUI at
> s.apache.org and see whether you can edit that link (ID) and let it
> point to another URL. When submitting the data it will ask you for your
> apache user id. The experiment will tell us, if any apache committer can
> edit any s.apache.org URL, or only the original creator of a URL.

I tried to edit yours, and it says:

"
Only the original author of this short-link (rjung) can override it!
"

Maybe we can persuade Infra to add a feature where, during the creation
of a URL ID, the creator can say "any committer can modify this" or
something.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
> [...]
>
> Or even more good stuff: [link to /presentations.html]
>
> WDYT?

Our ASF link shortener s.apache.org seems to allow to edit shortened
URLs later. So this would give us:

- short auto.generated permalink or alternatively a self-chosen URI
- the ability to change the target of the permalink if necessary

I don't know whether only the creator of the original short link can
edit it, but I think so. Just try the freshly created:

https://s.apache.org/tomcat-jmx-presentation.pdf

and after you have seen the redirect, got the the mini-GUI at
s.apache.org and see whether you can edit that link (ID) and let it
point to another URL. When submitting the data it will ask you for your
apache user id. The experiment will tell us, if any apache committer can
edit any s.apache.org URL, or only the original creator of a URL.

Regards,

Rainer

Regards,

Rainer