Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/08/02 22:45:58 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Sources in Binary Distributions (not a vote, just a question)

"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> If you're not mentioned here... Pointless to vote...

+1 (non-binding)

... just to spite you :-P

(actually, since a +1 means I volunteer to do it, even though I don't
have access to the server I'd be more than happy to crack it and delete
the appropriate tree ;-)

> duncan jon stefano pier costin rubys akv jhunter preston shemnon shachor
> bergsten gonzo mode harishp arun craigmcc jluc nacho ariedel horwat remm ed
> alex gaburici jiricka pierred glenn larryi arieh hgomez marcsaeg danmil shai
> keith kief melaquias amyroh mbraden clucas bip seguin jfclere mmanders andya

Just out of idle curiousity, who are half these people? Okay, not really
half, but I don't recognize alot of them. Are some of these people just
general Apache/Jakarta bigwigs who get a vote on all subprojects, or are
more of them one-time committers who have just moved on?

Also, I agree with you, Pier, on the installer business. I realized that
by replying specifically to Remy's post that it might sound like I had a
problem with separate installers/custom distros (sorry about that Remy
;-). I agree that people should be able to package it up however they
like, and I was only arguing for their removal from the primary bin
tarballs and, by extension, the build process. That way there is at
least ONE way for people to easily grab a bin-only ball. People who run
custom installers (whether Remy's Windoze installer or Henri's RPMs),
OTOH, might very well expect to get the source to be there, and I
certainly think people should have the freedom to build custom
distributions however they like. That's a good catch, Pier, since the
binary balls (hehe) are the only thing the vote applies to.

- Christopher

Re: Who are those people (Was: [VOTE] Sources in...)

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> Christopher Cain at ccain@mhsoftware.com wrote:
> >
> >> duncan jon stefano pier costin rubys akv jhunter preston shemnon shachor
> >> bergsten gonzo mode harishp arun craigmcc jluc nacho ariedel horwat remm ed
> >> alex gaburici jiricka pierred glenn larryi arieh hgomez marcsaeg danmil shai
> >> keith kief melaquias amyroh mbraden clucas bip seguin jfclere mmanders andya
> >
> > Just out of idle curiousity, who are half these people? Okay, not really
> > half, but I don't recognize alot of them. Are some of these people just
> > general Apache/Jakarta bigwigs who get a vote on all subprojects, or are
> > more of them one-time committers who have just moved on?
>
> Some are old developers who moved on to other things in their life, some are
> very bright guys who gave great input in the past and helped us out with
> their guidance (even without committing code), and some... I have no clue
> :-/ Like: who's "Vasile Gaburici"? Never heard of him...
> It should be one of our tasks to keep that list clean, but...

There is a list of committers at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/whoweare.html,
won't be bad to have the "Apache" name there.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.