Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Jason Manfield <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/02 21:31:46 UTC

using nutch just for crawling, not indexing?

We would like to use nutch just for crawling, and then index the crawled database into our proprietory datastore/index. How do we go about this? I see that nutch is a shell script, so it is possible to just crawl. Once it crawls, I suppose the crawled data is dumped into webdb. Are there exposed APIs to extract the data from webdb?

One more catch -- our company is a .NET shop :((, so we would like to use C# to read the data of the fetched/crawled pages for further indexing.

Ideas/suggestions?

Any plans to have nutch for .NET (like dotLucene)?

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: [Nutch-general] using nutch just for crawling, not indexing?

Posted by EM <em...@cpuedge.com>.
I don't recall the exact command, but you can use the 'inject' command
to inject an url as a starting point.

Posted by Zhou LiBing <zh...@gmail.com>.
hi

--
---Letter From your friend Blue at HUST CGCL---

Re: [Nutch-general] using nutch just for crawling, not indexing?

Posted by Jeff Bowden <jl...@houseofdistraction.com>.

http://www.ikvm.net/

RE: using nutch just for crawling, not indexing?

Posted by Chirag Chaman <de...@filangy.com>.
Jason,

The data is technically not stored in WebDb -- just the links are (and the
related information).
The pages (content) are stored within the segment.

Nutch is nothing more than a "search engine" specific implementation of
lucene (with added hooks). It uses lucene for indexing out of the box. Thus
you could in theory use the entire nutch process and then do your search
using dotlucene on the segments created by nutch (repeat "in theory
...you'll need to do some hacking to make it work). Make sure the index file
versions are the same/compatible.

Look at the WebDB API, and you'll get a better picture of whats available.
You should also look at the SegmentReader -- as this is what you'll need to
read the actual content of each page.

CC-

Filangy, Inc.
Interested in Improving Search? Join our Team!
http://filangy.com/jointheteam.jsp