Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/08/02 10:12:16 UTC

CJK fonts (Re: Cell value encoding)

Thanks Nicola,

This will be (I think) related to the internationalization/
multilingualization of the whole ASF projects (websites),
if we think about the i18n/m17n of the ASF more seriously.

Well, I am not sure whether there are ASL like chinese fonts,
korean fonts etc... This can be discussed at FOP and Forrest, too.

I know that if we (poi team) can solve this problem, it also
means the prosperity of the Forrest Team (^_^)v

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:57:31 +0200
(Subject: Re: Cell value encoding)
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote, On 02/08/2003 6.59:
>
> > On 8/2/03 12:54 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >>P.S. Andrew, there are many problems building POI-site in
> >>japanese/korean/chinese languages, because the default
> >>lacks the those 3 language's fonts. (in the process of the
> >>creation of PDF files)
> >
> > I'm speaking from ignorance, but I bet we need a way that doesn't require us
> > to check in things that we can't distribute (like M$ TTF font files) I'm
> > hooking you up with Nicola Ken.  Really what we need is someone who is in
> > the know to hook up with the forrest crowd.  We just use Forrest for our
> > documentation so any real change needs to take place there.  As a bonus it
> > will help a lot of other projects too.
>
> Yup. Forwarding to forrest-dev.

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: CJK fonts (Re: Cell value encoding)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:42:36PM +0900, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

[snip CJK fonts in Forrest]
> But I am still not sure how to implement this using
> forrestbot.

If there are any sites needing CJK fonts, I can modify the Forrestbot's
copy of Forrest to use the extra font.

> I am wondering the *smart* way to implement
> the i18n to forrestbot.
> For Example, I am translating the Apache Incubator Site
> into Japanese (now hosted at my company's website).
> I want it to integrate to incubator site itself (or the
> i18n/m17n infrastructure on the ASF) in the future.
> How can we generate the docs uploading xmls to minotaur CVS
> and rendering docs at daedalus? (Japanized Version of Incubator Site)
> (http://incubator.terra-intl.com/)

Can't we just have:

src/documentation/content/xdocs/en/
src/documentation/content/xdocs/jp/
src/documentation/content/xdocs/de/

?

--Jeff

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:16:32 +1000
(Subject: Re: CJK fonts (Re: Cell value encoding))
Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> It can be done with Forrest; see http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/3g/index.html
>
> Source for that site (or an old version of it anyway):
>
> http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/resources/ias-forrest-0.4.zip
>
> Some threads wrt. generating Forrest sites with chinese/korean
> characters:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103604121521559&w=2
>
> And the post being replied to in:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104003266621423&w=2
>
> which is part of this thread:

> HTH,

Yes, it helps a lot! ;-)

especially,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104003266621423&w=2
ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/Cyberbit.ZIP

--

But I am still not sure how to implement this using
forrestbot. I am wondering the *smart* way to implement

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.