Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Thom Park <tp...@borland.com> on 2001/04/18 18:27:50 UTC

mod_webapp & APR

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with APR, so forgive me if this is a stupid
question ;-)

If APR is an Apache 2.0 feature, does this mean that mod_webapp will
only work with Apache 2.0?

If so - what then for Apache 1.3 connectivity to tomcat 4?

-Thom

--
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/disclaim.html

Re: mod_webapp & APR

Posted by Punky Tse <pu...@yahoo.com>.
APR is not a feature of Apache 2.0, but a library/shared object/DLL that
Apache 2.0 makes use to.  It provides a bundle of functions like file I/O,
sockets, IPC, threading, etc.   While the API is in C, it is portable to
almost all platforms, even the oddest OS/2 and BeOS.

In C world, it is a very essential and critical component to build large
piece of software (like DBMS) that support multiple platforms.  Mozilla has
NSPR that does the same stuff, and that's why you can see that Mozilla (and
Apache of course) is available in most platforms.

Punky

Re: mod_webapp & APR

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Thom Park wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not too familiar with APR, so forgive me if this is a stupid
> question ;-)
>
> If APR is an Apache 2.0 feature, does this mean that mod_webapp will
> only work with Apache 2.0?
>
> If so - what then for Apache 1.3 connectivity to tomcat 4?

APR (which stands for Apache Portable Runtime) has been split out from the
web server development track into it's own project, because it is not
really specific to a web server -- it's an abstraction layer over
operating system features.

Tomcat 4 will have connector support for Apache 1.3 as well as 2.0.

> -Thom

Craig