Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jay Amorin <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/14 03:58:33 UTC

took longer to delete files in repository

Hi,

Is there a way to speed up my repository. when is delete a binary file
root/test/trunk/test.xls in the repository would take time to delete

Here is my repository structure.

+ root
   + dev
         + branches
            + 1
             …
         + tags
            + prd
               + 1.0
               …
               …
         + trunk
            - test.xls
            + pa
            + admin
            + cfg
            …
   + test
         + branches
            + 1
             …
         + tags
            + prd
               + 1.0
               …
               …
         + trunk
            - test.xls
            + pa
            + admin
            + cfg
            …
   + prod
         + branches
            + 1
             …
         + tags
            + prd
               + 1.0
               …
               …
         + trunk
            - test.xls
            + pa
            + admin
            + cfg
            …

Re: took longer to delete files in repository

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
Are any of the directories in repository very large?

For instance, if /srv/svn/root/ was the repository root, does ^/test
contain a large number of entries?  What about ^/test/trunk?

Simply removing an item should be a very quick operation, but if
Subversion has to rewrite large directories, that could take a while.

-Hyrum

Posted by Jay Amorin <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 14, 2009, at 19:19, Daniel Becroft wrote:

> Why do you need to delete the existing file before copying across
> the new one?
>
> Can you not have a working copy of /test/trunk, perform the copy
> (overwriting the existing file), then commit? Reduces the noise
> associated with the file movement as well (one revision, not two).

It's his choice to do it how he wants, and it shouldn't take a minute
to delete a file from the repository via his method, so he's right in
reporting the problem here.

If he wants to reduce the two commits to one, and doesn't want to
maintain a working copy, svnmucc should be able to do it.

Re: took longer to delete files in repository

Posted by Daniel Becroft <dj...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jay Amorin <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is what i do when i copy file from source root/dev/trunk to
> destination root/test/trunk considering that the file already exist in
> root/test/trunk
>
> I have a script that when is copy a file from source
> file:///srv/svn/root/dev/trunk/test.xls to destination
> file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls.
>
> 1. it will check if the source exist in destination with svn ls
> file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls
> 2. if it exist it will delete the file in destination with svn rm
> file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls (this is where it will take
> longer, like 1 file 1 min. per file) with svn rm -m "blah"
> file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls
> 3. after the file has been removed it will copy the file from source
> to destination with svn cp -m "blah"
> file:///srv/svn/root/dev/trunk/test.xls
> file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk

<snip />

Why do you need to delete the existing file before copying across the new
one?

Can you not have a working copy of /test/trunk, perform the copy
(overwriting the existing file), then commit? Reduces the noise associated
with the file movement as well (one revision, not two).

Cheers,
Daniel B.

Re: took longer to delete files in repository

Posted by Jay Amorin <ja...@gmail.com>.
This is what i do when i copy file from source root/dev/trunk to
destination root/test/trunk considering that the file already exist in
root/test/trunk

I have a script that when is copy a file from source
file:///srv/svn/root/dev/trunk/test.xls to destination
file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls.

1. it will check if the source exist in destination with svn ls
file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls
2. if it exist it will delete the file in destination with svn rm
file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls (this is where it will take
longer, like 1 file 1 min. per file) with svn rm -m "blah"
file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk/test.xls
3. after the file has been removed it will copy the file from source
to destination with svn cp -m "blah"
file:///srv/svn/root/dev/trunk/test.xls
file:///srv/svn/root/test/trunk

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt
<su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 22:58, Jay Amorin wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to speed up my repository. when is delete a binary file
>> root/test/trunk/test.xls in the repository would take time to delete
>
> How much time?
1 min per file

> Is it always like that or only sometimes?
everytime there is a delete

> From all clients or just one?
all

> What computer?
Linux

> What OS?
SLES10

> What version of Subversion?
ver. 1.5

> What repository access method?
from cli using svn rm file:///srv/svn/root/dev

> Anything unique about your setup which might account for this?
evrery repository should have a dev, test and prod folder and inside
the dev, test and prod folder contains tags, trunk, and branches

Thanks,

Jay

Re: took longer to delete files in repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 13, 2009, at 22:58, Jay Amorin wrote:

> Is there a way to speed up my repository. when is delete a binary file
> root/test/trunk/test.xls in the repository would take time to delete

How much time?
Is it always like that or only sometimes?
 From all clients or just one?
What computer?
What OS?
What version of Subversion?