Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> on 2016/01/18 15:58:11 UTC

John McCreesh

Those of us who were also part of the former OpenOffice.org project will be
shocked to hear of the sudden and untimely death of John McCreesh, who used
to be the (volunteer) marketing lead for the project. I have written more
in [a public post on Facebook][1] which also includes a newspaper report of
his death. Those with access to his Facebook wall will see a long list of
tributes.

Regards

Simon

[1]: https://www.facebook.com/simon.phipps/posts/10153969052221654

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Too sudden.  Very sad.
khirano

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 4:37 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
roberto.galoppini@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, Simon, though the news is bleak.
> >
> > I'll post to the Facebook page, at the least. I knew John for many years
> > and kept in touch with him after OOo fell apart. This is brutal news, and
> > far more for those who loved him closely. I don't think I exaggerate in
> > saying that without his efforts, his intelligence, so much of what we did
> > would have never been.
> >

> We all owe him a lot, and his PRs have been of great help in educating a
> number of OOo communities around the world, included but not limited to the
> Italian one. Too bad.
>
> Roberto
>

> > With affection,
> > louis
> >

> > > On 18 Jan 16, at 09:58, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Those of us who were also part of the former OpenOffice.org project
> will
> > be
> > > shocked to hear of the sudden and untimely death of John McCreesh, who
> > used
> > > to be the (volunteer) marketing lead for the project. I have written
> more
> > > in [a public post on Facebook][1] which also includes a newspaper
> report
> > of
> > > his death. Those with access to his Facebook wall will see a long list
> of
> > > tributes.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Simon
> > >
> > > [1]: https://www.facebook.com/simon.phipps/posts/10153969052221654

khirano@apache.org
Apache OpenOffice
http://openoffice.apache.org

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
I also heard about it and it's very sad to hear this. John was indeed a
huge enrichment for the community ans he was a very pleasant person. I
met him several times and worked with him in the community council in
the former pre Apache era of OepnOffice.

Juergen

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
We will never forget his name.

We never met him, but when we start working with OpenOffice.org, we read
each single line of his "OpenOffice.org 1.0, ODBC, and MySQL 'How-to'" [0].

Kind Regards
Michael

[0] http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL9.pdf

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by JZA <ac...@gmail.com>.
He will be missed. John was always very enthusiastic and positive force in
the community. Great attitude and mind to guide the discussions.
I am a bit shocked that this happened during actively working on different
projects. I remember his reflective posts on his facebook after he retired
from the community.
RIP.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Simon Phipps wrote:
> Those of us who were also part of the former OpenOffice.org project will be
> shocked to hear of the sudden and untimely death of John McCreesh

Very sad news. John was a marketing gentleman and a true volunteer. We
are still using his work on the OpenOffice website today. Thank you
Simon for sharing.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: John McCreesh

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 18/01/2016 16:20, RA Stehmann a écrit :

> We never met him, but when we start working with OpenOffice.org, we read
> each single line of his "OpenOffice.org 1.0, ODBC, and MySQL 'How-to'" [0].

Indeed, I remember translating that into French for the FR-nl community
back in the day.

Alex