Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/22 02:04:12 UTC

[release-plugin] Preparing for 1.4.

I’m curious to gauge what people think here. My general thought is no breaking BC without a major version change. So, even though this is an internal component, we stick with the rules because we never know who else might be using the component, right?

-Rob

Re: [release-plugin] Preparing for 1.4.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 18:04:59 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 22 August 2018 at 15:04, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> <ga...@gmail.com>

>>> think we
>>> I like
>>> version
>>> Java
>>> package
>>>
>>> Right. My argument is that if we break BC even with a maven-plugin,
>>> that
>>> we should work our hardest to adhere to the principles for external
>>> artifacts too. Also, we don’t know who else might be using the
>>> component
>>> even though our intent is for only us to use it.
>
> Would be strive to avoid breaking BC for internal packages?
> I would hope not.
>
> So I don't see why we should do so for internal components.
>

>> OK, then let's play by our rules even if it is just an exercise...
>
> Breaking BC can cause unresolvable issues, but changing packages and
> Maven coords causes extra work.
>
> There is no perfect solution, so any 'rules' need to allow for
> pragmatism.

Unfortunately, "pragmatism" is not viewed the same way by everyone.
Cf. the recent (non-)discussion about breaking BC of "Commons RNG":
in all likelihood, it would not cause any problem; so, pragmatically
(IMHO)...

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Well, BC is pretty binary... it seems simple to maintain BC. Javadoc,
deprecate, and keep BC IMO.

Gary