Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/05/15 15:33:01 UTC

Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change

Since being tasked as chair, I've seen no activity. There was
an email from Bill regarding 2 "outstanding" iCLAs, but the response
from one of the "committers" was less than optimistic.

That's it. No Emails on dev@ or private@, no code activities,
really no evidence at all of "renewed" interest/health/activity
in stdcxx land.

Am I wrong?

Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 5/16/2012 1:08 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On May 16, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Travis Vitek
>> <Tr...@roguewave.com> wrote:

>>> The e-mails regarding the ICLAs were sent to the @private list on 5/1.
>>
>> Well, yes I got that. My problem is that I no longer receive emails
>> from @private. I used to, until about end of March/first week of
>> April. I even sent a bunch of emails to @private. If this is a
>> PMC".  So, here I am, contacting the stdcxx PMC about @private. I
>> would appreciate an answer.
>
> I defer to Bill (Bill Rowe, that is) regarding whether he is willing
> to share his emails.

Every PMC member should have access to the archives at
https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/stdcxx-private/
simply using your user/pass as with subversion.  I don't but that might
be because I'm a member and not a committer?

https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/stdcxx-private/
works for all ASF members and I'm seeing the archives, so the earlier
link should still work.

Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On May 16, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Travis Vitek
> <Tr...@roguewave.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am going to ask the following questions in the open. Perhaps this
>>> way I will get an answer:
>>>
>>> 1. Apparently, "Bill's emails" were sent and replied to on the private
>>> list. I have not received any of them, although I am on the private
>>> list. Or at least, I was on the private list as recently as late
>>> March. Is this a case of mailing list malfunction? If that is the
>>> case, it should be fixed.
>>
>> The e-mails regarding the ICLAs were sent to the @private list on 5/1.
>
> Well, yes I got that. My problem is that I no longer receive emails
> from @private. I used to, until about end of March/first week of
> April. I even sent a bunch of emails to @private. If this is a
> PMC".  So, here I am, contacting the stdcxx PMC about @private. I
> would appreciate an answer.

I defer to Bill (Bill Rowe, that is) regarding whether he is willing
to share his emails.

>>> 3. There was a recent and important PMC change at stdcxx.
>>> Congratulations to Jim Jagielski for his new role as PMC Chair. Again,
>>> I learned of this change yesterday, and that only from Jim's email. I
>>> haven't received any notification about Jim's appointment prior to
>>> yesterday, although, to be fair, I knew about it at the beginning of
>>> May, because I read the ASF Board Minutes. Again, why wasn't there any
>>> notification of this change?
>>
>> I read about it in the e-mail entitled 'ASF Board Meeting Summary - April 18, 2012'. I don't normally read the meeting minutes, but I figured something was coming given the kerfuffle over the lack of a March status report (all of which was discussed on the @private list).
>
> Yes, I think that's how I learned about it too. But I generally don't
> read Board Minutes, so the fact that I learned about this change was
> entirely by accident.

Doug submitted his notice to the PMC directly. In general, the
Chair is a PMC-related issue and should have no impact on the
dev community at all.

Posted by Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Travis Vitek <Tr...@roguewave.com>.
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am going to ask the following questions in the open. Perhaps this
> way I will get an answer:
>
> 1. Apparently, "Bill's emails" were sent and replied to on the private
> list. I have not received any of them, although I am on the private
> list. Or at least, I was on the private list as recently as late
> March. Is this a case of mailing list malfunction? If that is the
> case, it should be fixed.

The e-mails regarding the ICLAs were sent to the @private list on 5/1.

> 2. Which Bill are we talking about? I know of two Bills at stdcxx. A
> clarification would be welcome.

William A. Rowe Jr.

> 3. There was a recent and important PMC change at stdcxx.
> Congratulations to Jim Jagielski for his new role as PMC Chair. Again,
> I learned of this change yesterday, and that only from Jim's email. I
> haven't received any notification about Jim's appointment prior to
> yesterday, although, to be fair, I knew about it at the beginning of
> May, because I read the ASF Board Minutes. Again, why wasn't there any
> notification of this change?

I read about it in the e-mail entitled 'ASF Board Meeting Summary - April 18, 2012'. I don't normally read the meeting minutes, but I figured something was coming given the kerfuffle over the lack of a March status report (all of which was discussed on the @private list).

> 4. The nightly build emails, which had restarted towards the end of
> February/beginning of March, have stopped. Why is that?

It looks like the February builds were kicked off manually by Farid. I'm not sure if the build system is configured to poll svn automatically or not, but the last submit to stdcxx was on 2/20, so there has been no need to do any builds since that time.

Travis

Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change

Posted by Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Stefan Teleman
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Since being tasked as chair, I've seen no activity. There was
>> an email from Bill regarding 2 "outstanding" iCLAs, but the response
>> from one of the "committers" was less than optimistic.
>>
>> That's it. No Emails on dev@ or private@, no code activities,
>> really no evidence at all of "renewed" interest/health/activity
>> in stdcxx land.
>>
>> Am I wrong?
>
> I haven't received any of Bill's emails. and I noticed that the
> nightly build emails which had re-started in February have stopped.
>
> I attached a proposed patch for stdcxx-1058 but I haven't received any comments.

I am going to ask the following questions in the open. Perhaps this
way I will get an answer:

1. Apparently, "Bill's emails" were sent and replied to on the private
list. I have not received any of them, although I am on the private
list. Or at least, I was on the private list as recently as late
March. Is this a case of mailing list malfunction? If that is the
case, it should be fixed.

2. Which Bill are we talking about? I know of two Bills at stdcxx. A
clarification would be welcome.

3. There was a recent and important PMC change at stdcxx.
Congratulations to Jim Jagielski for his new role as PMC Chair. Again,
I learned of this change yesterday, and that only from Jim's email. I
haven't received any notification about Jim's appointment prior to
yesterday, although, to be fair, I knew about it at the beginning of
May, because I read the ASF Board Minutes. Again, why wasn't there any
notification of this change?

4. The nightly build emails, which had restarted towards the end of
February/beginning of March, have stopped. Why is that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.

Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change

Posted by Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com>.