Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/15 23:02:05 UTC

First steps with Lenya

Hi, a few months back I had a look at Lenya, decided
it had a lot of potential, but it wasn't at a point
where I could afford to invest time on it. But I have
a multilingual job coming up that Lenya would be
perfect for, and so am taking a second look.

You certainly don't make it easy....

:)

First off, does Lenya work with Tomcat5? It is now
considered stable by most dists - I use Gentoo and it
is now the default tomcat install. If Lenya doesn't
work with tomcat5 you really need to add that
information to the install webpage.

I'm hoping that the problems I've had today are due to
tomcat5 rather than the state Lenya is in:)

I started off by following the instructions for the
source install and downloaded:

http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/lenya/incubating-lenya-1.2-src.zip

Compilation and install went smoothly, but Lenya
itself was completely unstable, half of the options in
the demo webpages gave errors - I didn't bother
recording or investigating them.

I then tried the binary install. This seemed to work
fine apart from when I attempted to create a new
document if gave an error - though the new page seemed
to be correctly created.

Looking in the CVS, there didn't seem to be any
updates from the versions I had already downloaded, so
looked on the list and found out about the move to svn
(That info _really_ should be on the website). I have
just downloaded the 1.2.x branch and compiled and
installed it.

Creating a new document gives me:

An Error Occurred
Unable to write log file
Unable to write log file
cause: Unable to write log file
<<<<<<<<
and:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/logs/tasks/2004-09-15-21-17-51-132.xml
(No such file or directory)
	at
java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
	at
java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:70)
	at
org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger.buildFinished(XmlLogger.java:216)
<<<<<<<<

So how exactly can I get a working version of Lenya?

I am using x86 Gentoo with Sun JDK 1.4.2 and Tomcat
5.0.27-r4

I am thinking now that it might just be Tomcat5, it
surely shouldn't be so hard to get a working Lenya
install - just I don't have a Tomcat4 box and would
have to set up a machine for just that...

TIA
daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> Actually, the most convenient way to run Lenya is
> Jetty:
>
> $LENYA_HOME> ./lenya.sh servlet
>
> -> http://localhost:8888
>

> -- Andreas

Well...

I made a complete clean start on a XP box, this time
careful to use exactly the software listed on the
install page.

Everything seemed to go fine, I used Jetty as above.
However trying to create a new document on the demo
site gives me:

Cannot get variable '{page-envelope:area' in
expression
'{document-url:{page-envelope:area}:{request-param:properties.create.parent-id}/{request-param:properties.create.child-id}:{request-param:properties.create.language}}'

org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.PatternException: Cannot get
variable '{page-envelope:area' in expression
'{document-url:{page-envelope:area}:{request-param:properties.create.parent-id}/{request-param:properties.create.child-id}:{request-param:properties.create.language}}'

I had 3 days to look into Lenya - well one day has
passed, it's nearly 3am, and I still don't have a
working install.

I don't really understand how on two different
machines with 2 different architectures I have tried
the binary, the source download, the cvs version, and
the SVN version and though they intially seemed to
work, I've beeen unable to create a new document
without errors. Yet each time Lenya built without
errors.

>From the little I have read of the docs, it seems as
though I need to build a new war to create a new site,
so I can't even ask for a working .war file.

So what do I do now? Is there a _working_ version of
Lenya out there? Or is there somekind of manual fix I
need to make to get 1.2.x to work?

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> This usually means that you use didn't patch your
> JDK
> with the correct endorsed libraries.
>
> Copy $COCOON_HOME/lib/endorsed/*
>    to $JDK/jre/lib/endorsed/
>
> We're trying to fix that inside Lenya, but didn't
> yet
> succeed.

Aha - that fixed that -thankyou.
I'm using 2.1.4 of cocoon which has in its endorsed
directory:
Xalan-2.5.2
xercesImpl-2.6.1

Could that be what is causing me problems?

TIA
daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
daniel Griffith wrote:
> Well I have got to the point now where a build of
> lenya fails when patching cocoon.xconf...

This usually means that you use didn't patch your JDK
with the correct endorsed libraries.

Copy $COCOON_HOME/lib/endorsed/*
   to $JDK/jre/lib/endorsed/

We're trying to fix that inside Lenya, but didn't yet
succeed.

> OK, both installs I have attempted have been on
> machines with other webapps installed on them - so I
> am gonna format a pc and try from scratch.
>
> Can someone look at this and tell me if it will work?
>
> OS: Fedora FC2
> JDK: J2SE v 1.4.2_05  SDK
> Ant: Ant 1.6.2
> container: Tomcat 4.1.30
> cocoon:
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/cocoon/cocoon-2.1.4-src.zip

No idea if 2.1.4 still works - 2.1.5.1 is recommended.

> Lenya: 1.2.x via svn

The rest seems fine.

-- Andreas

Re: First steps with Lenya - some success

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
daniel Griffith wrote:
>>>I've spent the last few days struggling to do an
>>>install of Lenya. I now have a working version,
>>
>>below
>>
>>>is how I got there - hope it is usful to someone.
>>
>>could you wikify this?
>

> Done.

Thanks!

> Hope it makes up in part for me spamming the
> list the last few days:)

You shouldn't feel bad, this is exactly the purpose
of this mailing list :)

-- Andreas

Re: Adding multiple languages

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
daniel Griffith wrote:

[...]

> This has me confused. To start with, $NEW_PUB_HOME is
> defined on the page as being the location you use to
> copy the default page to make your new publication -
> surely changes here would only be seen by rebuilding
> lenya?

Yes.

> Making changes here (adding <language>fr</language> to
> publication.xconf) as expected has no effect after
> just restarting the container.
>
> Making the change to publication.xconf in the Lenya
> build folder, and restarting Jetty seems to work, I
> can make new documents and add fr pages to to them -
> BUT if I try to add a fr language version to Home I
> get:
>
> No pipeline matched request:
> uri-parameter/itp/doctype/authoring/index_fr.html
>
> And from that point I cannot access home, even in
> English I get the same error.

If this happens for the homepage only, it is probably
a bug. Would you mind adding it to bugzilla?

> Making the the change to the publication.xconf in
> $NEW_PUB_HOME as suggested and rebuilding Lenya
> doesn't work

Strange ... This is the recommended way to do it.

> - but then it would make no sense if I
> had to go that way as it means I couldn't add a new
> language to an existing website.

Why? When you make changes to your publication, you
have to deploy it anyway, don't you?

> So what is the correct method to add a new langage to
> Lenya?

- add the language entry to $PUB_HOME/config/publication.xconf
- deploy the publication
   (ant webapp for Jetty / ant install for Tomcat)

-- Andreas

Adding multiple languages

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all.

The reason I want to use Lenya is I have a project
coming up that will need to be done in multiple
languages, and so today I have been looking at
multilanguage support.

On the Wiki, on page NewPublicationHowTo it says:

edit the $NEW_PUB_HOME/config/publication.xconf file
removing the element <language>de</language> (be sure
you have removed all german page before) and
eventually add you language. Pay attention, you can
add your language even if there's not an available
translation for Lenya CMS interface (i.e. you can add
"ru" for russian even if available Lenya is translated
only in english or german). The servlet container has
to be restarted to apply the changes to the language
configuration.
<<<

[...]

doesn't work - but then it would make no sense if I

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
I've just added it to my Gentoo wiki page, but it
should be also in the mailing list archive - if you
want to use 1.2.x you MUST use cocoon 2.1.5 or higher!

That was my problem...

daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya - some success

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> > I've spent the last few days struggling to do an
> > install of Lenya. I now have a working version,
> below
> > is how I got there - hope it is usful to someone.
>
> could you wikify this?

Done. Hope it makes up in part for me spamming the
list the last few days:)

Any mistakes are due to unfamiliarity with the wiki
system - honest....

Re: First steps with Lenya - some success

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: First steps with Lenya - some success

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

I've spent the last few days struggling to do an
install of Lenya. I now have a working version, below
is how I got there - hope it is usful to someone.

Boring read, but might be useful in the mail archive:)

A big shout to Andreas Hartmann and Jean Pierre LeJacq
for all the help.

Started of by trying to get Lenya running on a box
with x86 Gentoo:

JDK: sun-jkd 1.4.2-05
ant: 1.6.2-r3
tomcat: 5.0.27-r4

The 1.2 binary, src, amd 1.2.x from svn all failed to
work under Tomcat5.The initial error was due to needed
directories not being created during the build of
Lenya.

An Error Occurred
Unable to write log file
Unable to write log file
cause: Unable to write log file
<<<<<<<<
and:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/logs/tasks/2004-09-15-21-17-51-132.xml
(No such file or directory)
	at
java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
	at
java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:70)
	at
org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger.buildFinished(XmlLogger.java:216)
<<<<<<<<

It was then suggested that I use Jetty instead of
Tomcat. Unfortunately I continued with 1.2.x, and had
yet more problems in trying to run it under Jetty.

org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.PatternException: Cannot get
variable '{page-envelope:area' in expression
'{document-url:{page-envelope:area}:{request-param:properties.create.parent-id}/{request-param:properties.create.child-id}:{request-param:properties.create.language}}'

cause:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
Invalid number of parameters: 2. Expected 3 (area,
document-id, language)
<<<

It was suggested that this was due to a too recent
version of Xalan installed on the machine (Gentoo
seems to install xalan 2.6.0 and xerces 2.6.2-r1 when
installing tomcat5) In the installation instructions
on the Lenya website it says:

"Endorsed Libraries (recommended: Xalan 2.5.0 Xerces
2.5.0)"

That should be changed:)

Umerging them and adding the endorsed libraries in
cocoon to the JDK got the 1.2 binary and src packages
working /cheer! But 1.2.x is still not running /boo!

:)

So to get Lenya running on x86 Gentoo (amd64 Gentoo
cannot install JDK1.4.2):

1)Emerge the default JDK,ant.
2)Grab -
http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/lenya/incubating-lenya-1.2-src.tar.gz
3)Download and install cocoon as in the installation
instructions
4)Copy the libraries from the cocoon endorsed folder
to $JDK/jre/lib/endorsed/
5)Build and install Lenya as in the installation
instructions
6)Set off Jetty using ./lenya.sh servlet

sorted
daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, daniel Griffith wrote:

> OS: Fedora FC2
> JDK: J2SE v 1.4.2_05  SDK
> Ant: Ant 1.6.2
> container: Tomcat 4.1.30
> cocoon:
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/cocoon/cocoon-2.1.4-src.zip
> Lenya: 1.2.x via svn

Yep.  While not necessary, I'd recommend the following
changes:

* cocoon-2.1.5.1
* Use Jetty supplied with Cocoon.

--
JP

Re: First steps with Lenya

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> Please check to see that you have the proper
> versions of xerces and
> xalan installed.  There's a page on the wiki about
> this.
> Specifically, make sure you delete all other
> versions of the jar
> files for these two from the servlet container.

I'm using:

xalan-2.5.0
xercesImpl-2.6.1

And still getting:

-----------------------
An Error Occurred

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry for the blitz of mail, I really want to get
Lenya to work:)

Turns out that the install on the Gentoo box also
works when I use Jetty rather than Tomcat - pretty
funny for a Apache project:)

Well, kind of works, I am still getting:

Cannot get variable '{page-envelope:area' in
expression
'{document-url:{page-envelope:area}:{request-param:properties.create.parent-id}/{request-param:properties.create.child-id}:{request-param:properties.create.language}}'

org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.PatternException: Cannot get
variable '{page-envelope:area' in expression
'{document-url:{page-envelope:area}:{request-param:properties.create.parent-id}/{request-param:properties.create.child-id}:{request-param:properties.create.language}}'
<<<<<<

When I create a new document...

So forgetting that error for the moment (the page is
created despite the error so I at least I have
something to work with) as my installs are not working
with tomcat on either XP or Gentoo, and Tomcat is
complaining of missing files/directories, I think the
build file on the SVN is broke...

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
> Hmm, I think it's rather related to Ant.
>
> > Are all parent directories
> > that is looking for existing?  Just create them if
> not.
>
> That shouldn't be necessary. Can you imagine why it
> failed
> to create this file? Maybe it's worth looking at the
> Ant
> bugzilla / mailing lists.
>
> -- Andreas
I'm using ant version 1.6.2 - It has compiled a load
of other stuff with no problems...

daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
[...]

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by daniel Griffith <me...@yahoo.com>.
 --- Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] daniel Griffith
> wrote:
>
> > First off, does Lenya work with Tomcat5? It is now
> > considered stable by most dists - I use Gentoo and
> it
>
> Works fine with tomcat 5.x.

Cool thanks.
> > Creating a new document gives me:
> >

> > An Error Occurred
> > Unable to write log file
> > Unable to write log file
> > cause: Unable to write log file
> > <<<<<<<<
> > and:
> > >>>>>>>>
> > Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:

/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/logs/tasks/2004-09-15-21-17-51-132.xml
> > (No such file or directory)
> > 	at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
> > 	at

java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
> > 	at

java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:70)
> > 	at

org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger.buildFinished(XmlLogger.java:216)
> > <<<<<<<<
>
> I believe the is due to the log4j issue.  Are all
> parent directories
> that is looking for existing?  Just create them if
> not.

I added logs/tasks, and it seemed to work - now a new
error:

An Error Occurred

/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/config/tasks/targets.xml:136:
org.apache.lenya.cms.authoring.CreatorException:
java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

org.apache.lenya.cms.task.ExecutionException:
/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/config/tasks/targets.xml:136:
org.apache.lenya.cms.authoring.CreatorException:
java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

cause: org.apache.lenya.cms.task.ExecutionException:
/opt/tomcat5/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/default/config/tasks/targets.xml:136:
org.apache.lenya.cms.authoring.CreatorException:
java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
<<<<<

That look familiar to anyone?

Is there a document anywhere that lays out just what
is needed to get the 1.2.x version running?

TIA
daniel

Re: First steps with Lenya

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] daniel Griffith wrote:

> First off, does Lenya work with Tomcat5? It is now
> considered stable by most dists - I use Gentoo and it

Works fine with tomcat 5.x.

> Looking in the CVS, there didn't seem to be any
> updates from the versions I had already downloaded, so
> looked on the list and found out about the move to svn
> (That info _really_ should be on the website). I have
> just downloaded the 1.2.x branch and compiled and
> installed it.

The CVS/SVN version is the preferred version.