Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/27 23:13:40 UTC

Request for Comments: Piggybank future

Hi folks, at the last Pig contributor meeting, the piggybank question was
discussed -- namely, how to make it more easy to contribute to.
(by the way, the contributor meetings are generally open to all comers --
sign up for the pig-dev list if you are interested in that type of thing).

Here's a section of the notes I sent to Pig-dev that documents the results
of the piggybank discussion. How do you, as users, feel about this plan?

Piggybank.
Kevin Weil led a discussion of the piggybank. There are a few problems with
it -- it's released on the Pig schedule, and has quite a few barriers to
submission that are, anecdotally at least, preventing people from
contributing. Several options were discussed, with the group finally
settling on starting a community-curated GitHub project for piggybank. It
will have a number of committers from different companies, and will aim to
make it easy for folks to contribute (all contribs will still have to have
tests, and be Apache 2.0-licensed). More details will be forthcoming as we
figure them out. Initially this project will be seeded with the current
Piggybank functions some time after 0.8 is branched. The initial list of
committers Kevin Weil (Twitter), Dmitriy Ryaboy (Twitter), Carl Steinbach
(Cloudera), and Russel Jurney (LinkedIn). Yahoo will also nominate someone.
Please send us any thoughts you might have on this subject. It was suggested
that a lot of common code might be shared with Hive UDFs, which have the
same problems as Piggybank does, and that perhaps the project can be another
collaboration point between the projects. Not clear how that would work,
Carl will talk to other Hive people.

Re: Request for Comments: Piggybank future

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty excited about this.  This removes all the pain of contributing
UDFs.

Russ

Posted by Corbin Hoenes <co...@tynt.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Aug 28, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Milind A Bhandarkar wrote:

> +1 on the direction.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1. With Pig marching towards becoming a TLP at Apache, can Piggybank
> become a full-fledged subproject (with it's own releases and all) ?
> 2. Or since the ultimate goal is to have a common UDF repository for
> both Pig and Hive, t would make sense to make it into an incubator
> project, with a name that does not indicate pig dependency?

I agree with Dmitriy that this is not necessarily the ultimate goal.

> 3. I see parallels between Howl and proposed Piggybank, since they
> aspire to become common components in both Hive and Pig
> distributions. What are long term plans for Howl as far as hosting
> is concerned ?

The stated plan with Howl has been to put it in the Incubator.

Alan.

Posted by Corbin Hoenes <co...@gmail.com>.
I really like this idea.  I'd like to see more sharing of udfs out in
the open.

What barriers to submission are removed by this move?  How does a udf
make it into piggybank now vs. before?

Sent from my iPhone