Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Armes <ta...@fr.imaje.com> on 2004/02/04 10:23:36 UTC

Reviewing merged changes

Hi,

Is there way to see the changes that are automatically merged into a file
during an svn update?  When a conflict occurs the temporary files allow the
user to compare the lastest revision and the working copy revision to the
base revision, however when the merge is automatic this doesn't happen.

Since the update's succeeded, it's also impossible to retrieve the revision
number on which the modifications were carried out.  If this were available
then you could simply compare the head revision of the given file to the
revision which you'd been working on to see the changes that you've
effectively merged.

It's difficult to have confidence in the merge when you can't see what's
actually been merged.  The fact the that modifications aren't on the same
line doesn't mean that the don't interfere with each other.  Not every
project has a test suite that can be run before doing a commit to ensure
that nothing's been broken.

Tim

Re: Reviewing merged changes

Posted by Lele Gaifax <le...@nautilus.homeip.net>.

    Tim> Hi,

    Tim> Is there way to see the changes that are automatically merged
    Tim> into a file during an svn update?

Sometimes it would be cool having an option to get the diffs dumped on
stdout too while update/merge takes action, when applicable. I know
this is actually "svn diff; svn update", but maybe it's easy (*) to
introduce such a shortcut...

ciao, lele.

(*) and "right", given that there is no guarantee that the same diffs
    will be applied, given the time>0 between the diff and the update
    that allows other transactions to take place.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.

Re: Reviewing merged changes

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Tim Armes <ta...@fr.imaje.com> writes:

> Is there way to see the changes that are automatically merged into a
> file during an svn update?  When a conflict occurs the temporary
> files allow the user to compare the lastest revision and the working
> copy revision to the base revision, however when the merge is
> automatic this doesn't happen.

You can run 'svn blame' on the file to see what lines changed, when.
But the information about the fact that you changed certain lines in
exactly the same way that someone else also did is lost.  So (as you
know) only lines that you've changed and that were *not* merged will
show up in 'svn diff'.

Re: Reviewing merged changes

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Tim Armes wrote:
> Is there way to see the changes that are automatically merged into a file
> during an svn update?  When a conflict occurs the temporary files allow the
> user to compare the lastest revision and the working copy revision to the
> base revision, however when the merge is automatic this doesn't happen.

If you always merge to the WC, a simple 'svn diff' will show you what has
changed.  Only merging from URL to URL performs an autocommit.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group