Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by David Hill <DH...@StudentLoan.org> on 2015/01/21 20:32:29 UTC

merging docs with form fields and tags

We are trying to merge multiple PDFs together and we are having issues with form fields and tags vanishing. Tags and editable form fields will not exist in the output.

This seems related to issues 1031 and 930.

The problem seems to happen if the first document does not have fields or tags. In the case where the first document does not have form fields the form fields for the second document will be missing but all subsequent form fields seem to exist properly in the resulting document. In the case where the first document does not have tags, all tags on all pages are missing in the resulting document.

This is a high priority for our current 508 compliance project, we may attempt to correct the issue ourselves. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and where we might start looking for a solution?

Thanks!

Dave Hill
Lead Developer
Iowa Student Loan Liquidity Corp

________________________________

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Iowa Student Loan.

Re: merging docs with form fields and tags

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

-- John

Posted by Ray Morris <ra...@bigpond.com>.

Posted by David Hill <DH...@StudentLoan.org>.
As I mentioned, we are losing tags, bookmarks, and input fields when we merge documents and the first document does not contain tags, bookmarks, or input fields.

We tried a work around. We created a "cover page" that contained input fields, tags, and bookmarks and caused it to be the first page in the resulting merged document.

The output was perfect, all tags, input fields, and bookmarks were preserved.

Then we used PageExtractor to extract the "cover page" and all tags and bookmarks were stripped from the output. Input fields were preserved. It did not even matter if I "extracted" all pages from 1 to page count so that the output document had all the same pages as the intermediate document.

At first blush it looks like this workaround isn't going to work because there is no way to eliminate the unwanted cover page.