Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/03/11 21:02:38 UTC

developing with avalon questions

Hi gang,

going through the paper now, updating code and info. Questions

- anyone mind s/\bComponent\b/component/?
- what is Excalibur Properties utilities? Can I zap the reference?
- do we want to keep the ComponentHandler information? This is pretty
much internal to ECM/Fortress and it is very seldom one actually wants
to bind an application to them.
- do we want to keep pointing peeps at the rolemanager setup and config
format or redirect to the newer fortress version, mentioning it still
reads the old one?

cheers,

- Leo

Re: developing with avalon questions

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>>- do we want to keep pointing peeps at the rolemanager setup and config
>>>format or redirect to the newer fortress version, mentioning it still
>>>reads the old one?
>>
>>We should reference the most recent version of Avalon's container.
>

> Avalon has a container?

To be specific Avalon has four containers under development.  The
ECM is the (soon to be deprecated) last embedded container version.
Fortress is the next embedded container version.  EMbedded in the
sense that they can be integrated in Servlet environments as well
as stand alone.  The next version of the embedded container will
be Merlin.  Phoenix is the stand alone server application container,
which is bigger than any of the other containers.

Re: developing with avalon questions

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
-- Jane Wagner

Re: developing with avalon questions

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> going through the paper now, updating code and info. Questions
>
> - anyone mind s/\bComponent\b/component/?

+1

> - what is Excalibur Properties utilities? Can I zap the reference?

+1 (was an Excalibur project, then merged into Excalibur Util, and
     now merged in with projects using it).

> - do we want to keep the ComponentHandler information? This is pretty
> much internal to ECM/Fortress and it is very seldom one actually wants
> to bind an application to them.

True, but the purpose was to demonstrate how to provide better
containers by encapsulating the logic for managing a component
into a single class.  I would like the spirit of the information
to remain.