Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Barnes, Mike" <mi...@cingular.com> on 2006/07/31 18:53:43 UTC

new user

I just finished downloading maven 2 and am now trying to create a new
project using the example described on the getting started page. I am
able to execute mvn -version with no problems, however when I attempt to
execute

mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app

I get the following error:

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.

[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central

[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not
be retri

eved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file

[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted

[INFO]

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

[INFO]

[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does
not exi

st or no valid version could be found

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO] Total time: 22 seconds

[INFO] Finished at: Mon Jul 31 12:51:57 EDT 2006

[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M

[INFO]

Based on the above message I would have expected the archtype plugin to
already be downloaded. BTW, I am behind a firewall which uses a policy
file (not sure how to configure this in the proxy section)

Thanks for any help.

Mike

RE: new user

Posted by "Barnes, Mike" <mi...@cingular.com>.
I guess that I was expecting that a new install would not need to get
anything from the outside. I would have expected that over time this
would be an issue but not the first time I use the application.

Thanks

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: new user

Posted by korebantic <ko...@gmail.com>.
Maven requires access to a remote repository. If your firewall
prevents this you'll need to setup a local one. Information for this
can be found spread around the maven documentation and "Better Builds
with Maven" guide.

Can you get me out of my two year contract? =)

Re: new user

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I strongly agree. Your proxy problems are not Maven's fault...

Just be glad someone has written code which enables Maven to work over
your proxy... otherwise you'd have to hack the open source code
yourself. ;-)

Wayne

RE: new user

RE: new user

RE: new user

Posted by James Richards <ja...@northps.com>.

Re: new user

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.

RE: new user

Posted by Matilda Robert <ma...@wfinet.com>.
Hi,

Try doing the following in the command line:

mvn archetype:create –DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-webapp –DgroupId=top.level.java.package –DartifactId=dirName

top.level.java.package should be name_of_package

dirName should be application_name

Please note:  	I tried to run the above cmd and the error read “Unable to determine the release version.  Try downloading the file manually from the project website.”
	*****Note if you get the above error make sure that the spacing is correct.  There is only a space between the webapp and the -Dgroup and the package and -Dartifact commands.

Hopefully this helps,

Matilda

[...]

Attention:
authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity. The
information contained in this message and or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you
material from any system and destroy any copies.