Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> on 2014/12/12 23:56:48 UTC

A Big Hairy Goal for jclouds 2.0

Hi all

We've recently seen a number of tricky but necessary technical
discussions around jclouds (e.g. [1], [2], [3]), which I think
highlight what the community already knows: for jclouds to continue to
be relevant and useful, we have some key challenges to address and
decisions to take. In order to hopefully help us make the best choices
we can, I'd like to take a step back and belatedly kick off this
second year of jclouds as an Apache TLP with some thoughts on who we
are and what the mission of this project is.

I'd like to start by noting that jclouds calls itself "the Java
multi-cloud toolkit." What that means for jclouds for the next version
and in the short term is being discussed in [1]. In order to find the
right direction for the future of jclouds, however, I think we really
need to focus on discovering what being a "multi-cloud toolkit" even
*means* in the face of some pretty big changes in cloud usage?

Here, in my view, we need to focus heavily on our users. What are they
missing in jclouds? What are their upcoming (cloud) challenges? Is
jclouds relevant to those challenges and, if not, why not? Are they
even talking about jclouds? I strongly believe that only by engaging
much more actively with our users and getting a better understanding
of these questions will we ensure that jclouds remains an active,
useful and relevant part of the JVM developer's cloud toolkit.

So my main appeal to us all at this point is *be vocal*. If you are a
jclouds user, tell us what you want to see added to or improved about
jclouds. If you are a jclouds dev or PMC member, reach out to all the
jclouds users you know and encourage them to give their input. More
than anything else, *our users* are jclouds...without their continued
interest, none of the ongoing discussions referenced above matter.

So, in parallel to work on the next version, I would like to suggest
that we kick off a drive to gather as much user input on what our
users want from jclouds as possible. Blogs, meetups, Twitter,
Hangouts, personal conversations...whatever you think works best.

Let's make jclouds 2.0 becomes the toolkit our users want for
*tomorrow's* cloud coding, not just yesterday's!

Regards

ap

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/zvsytdvzfeg4w2zi
[2] http://markmail.org/message/32caqbdq5lwadgzg
[3] http://markmail.org/thread/gggegb2gfyz3jmct

Re: A Big Hairy Goal for jclouds 2.0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
>> Thanks for that, Everett. Would this potentially be related to the
>> following thread?

I don't know, I'm afraid. Hopefully Ignacio will be able to clarify ;-)

Regards

ap

Re: A Big Hairy Goal for jclouds 2.0

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jan 23, 2015, at 6:25 PM, Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> wrote:

>> configuring a JEE container (e.g. Glassfish or JBoss) for use with  jclouds. They had tried and had run into issues with some conflicts  between Guice and CDI.
>>
>> I’ve created a issue for it here.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-810
>
> Thanks for that, Everett. Would this potentially be related to the following thread?
>
> http://apache.markmail.org/thread/tbefjgmdhuvrfrb3

Not exactly but similar. This customer couldn’t get jclouds deployed in Glassfish because of jclouds conflicts with the Weld impl of CDI.

Your email [1] looks useful. Do you know if Ignacio ever wrote that blog post?

Thanks,
Everett

[1] http://markmail.org/message/tclzg5rsskagtkfu

Re: A Big Hairy Goal for jclouds 2.0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Dec 12, 2014, at 4:56 PM, Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> So my main appeal to us all at this point is *be vocal*. If you are a jclouds user, tell us what you want to see added to or improved about jclouds. If you are a jclouds dev or PMC member, reach out to all the jclouds users you know and encourage them to give their input. More than anything else, *our users* are jclouds...without their continued interest, none of the ongoing discussions referenced above matter.

Late last year I spoke with a customer (sorry I can’t be specific) and they were lamenting the fact that there was no example of configuring a JEE container (e.g. Glassfish or JBoss) for use with jclouds. They had tried and had run into issues with some conflicts between Guice and CDI.