Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> on 2019/04/01 10:14:57 UTC

Incompatible license for dependency nacos-client

Hi,

When I am looking at this issue[1], I realized that Dubbo may have the
same issue.
From Dubbo 2.7.1 and 2.6.6 onwards the Nacos support has been added,
where the following dependency has been added:

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.alibaba.nacos</groupId>
    <artifactId>nacos-client</artifactId>
    <version>${nacos.version}</version>
    <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

which depend on the following dependencies:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.codehaus.jackson</groupId>
    <artifactId>jackson-mapper-lgpl</artifactId>
</dependency>

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.github.spotbugs</groupId>
    <artifactId>spotbugs-annotations</artifactId>
    <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

which is LGPL v2.1 licensed.

This means nacos-client should not be Apache Licensed as claimed, and
Dubbo could not depend on nacos-client.

I have contacted the Nacos team they are addressing this issue.

My question is how to avoid this kind of issue?
Should we check every newly added dependency for license compatibility?
Is there any tools which can do automatic scanning?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/pull/2422

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Incompatible license for dependency nacos-client

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the following commands:

`mvn license:add-third-party -Dlicense.useMissingFile`

The command outputs all the 3rd party licenses for the module. I did a
further investigation with the following commands:

find . -name THIRD-PARTY.txt | xargs grep GPL | grep -v Apache | grep
-v MIT | grep -v CDDL
./dubbo-registry/dubbo-registry-nacos/target/generated-sources/license/THIRD-PARTY.txt:
    (GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), Version 2.1) Jackson
(org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-core-lgpl:1.9.6 -
http://jackson.codehaus.org)
./dubbo-registry/dubbo-registry-nacos/target/generated-sources/license/THIRD-PARTY.txt:
    (GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), Version 2.1) Data
Mapper for Jackson (org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-mapper-lgpl:1.9.6 -
http://jackson.codehaus.org)

I think the dependency issue could be found for:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.codehaus.jackson</groupId>
    <artifactId>jackson-mapper-lgpl</artifactId>
</dependency>

But for optional dependencies, there is no output.

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.github.spotbugs</groupId>
    <artifactId>spotbugs-annotations</artifactId>
    <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

I checked for the documentation [1], there is an option
"<includeOptional>" to include the optional dependency, and the
default value is true. But I don't know why it is not included.

[1] https://www.mojohaus.org/license-maven-plugin/add-third-party-mojo.html

Posted by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:35 PM Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Merged, but we still need to bump up nacos's version when it gets official.

Thanks and agreed.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org>.
yeah. I can take this one and  prepare a script

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Good idea. Should we introduce a script to guard against this first?

Thanks,
-Ian.

Posted by YunKun Huang <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.