Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <el...@gmx.de> on 2017/10/12 21:40:44 UTC

NetBeans 9 release date

Often People ask for NetBeans 9 and yes we already know that, because geertjan often said that it is up to all of us 😉. But often People only want to be users as I say it often. They want to use NetBeans. Ok anyway but the Thing is, do we have a specific date like a release Roadmap for NB 9.0 for the first release? If not, then we should have one. The old Roadmap from Oracle is now obsolete,  right? So we should think about it.

Cheers

Chris

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If NetBeans was unique there would be more help since there were no other
> options. But if your time is limited and not available or buggy on NetBeans
> you just look around and there are other options.
>
> Personally the open source project I got deeply evolved were unique in one
> way or another or I created myself due to the same reason. That's why I
> believe we don't see the other millions of users.

For all these use cases, NetBeans is completely unique and the developers
working on these projects are going to be -- and are already -- a key
demographic that will be driving NetBeans forward:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/on+top+of+NetBeans

Thanks,

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
>> ➢ Where exactly would you like to see information on netbeans.org re
>> Apache?
>> ➢ I can see it already myself, it's been there for months -- but where
>> would
>> ➢ you like to see it, where are you looking and not finding the
>> Information
>> ➢ about NetBeans being at Apache?
>>
>> Where are the Information about it on netbeans.org? Only when you click
>> on community. On the main page it says it is Oracle no Apache info at all.
>> Maybe a link to the new one and to more info, right on the main page, which
>> should be more attractive, should be there.
>>

> OK, will work on the main page, to add that info more explicitly -- do we
> have a central page at Apache we should point to from there? E.g., maybe we
> should point here from various places on the front page of netbeans.org:
> cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS Or is there a different
> place to point to? Which page would be most effective?

On the front page of netbeans.org, I think this text:

"NetBeans IDE is FREE, open source, and has a worldwide community of users
and developers.”

...should be changed to this text:

“NetBeans IDE is free, open source, and is moving to Apache!”

And there should be a link connected to that sentence, pointing to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS.

Would that help? Or what/where specifically on the front page of
netbeans.org should there be info about Apache? I think the above would be
a simple start -- though any other ideas are welcome.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> On 13/10/17 10:19, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
>

>> OK, will work on the main page, to add that info more explicitly -- do we
>> have a central page at Apache we should point to from there? E.g., maybe
>> we
>> should point here from various places on the front page of netbeans.org:
>> cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS Or is there a different
>> place
>> to point to? Which page would be most effective?
>>

> I think it's important to think how we're going to transfer good Google
> positioning of tutorials, etc. i.e., have a good SEO transition.

Great point, can you add this info and other ideas to this part of the Wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Site

That way we have a central place where all related details can be
centralized.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 13/10/17 10:19, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:

> OK, will work on the main page, to add that info more explicitly -- do we
> have a central page at Apache we should point to from there? E.g., maybe we
> should point here from various places on the front page of netbeans.org:
> cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS Or is there a different place
> to point to? Which page would be most effective?

I think it's important to think how we're going to transfer good Google
positioning of tutorials, etc. i.e., have a good SEO transition.

"Relaunching Your Site? Don’t Even Think About It Without A Solid SEO
Game Plan!" [1] is probably worth a read.

It's the first thing I found in Google, but it has the basics of a
transition plan.

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]
https://searchengineland.com/relaunching-site-dont-even-think-without-solid-seo-game-plan-231315

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
wrote:

> ➢ Where exactly would you like to see information on netbeans.org re
> Apache?
> ➢ I can see it already myself, it's been there for months -- but where
> would
> ➢ you like to see it, where are you looking and not finding the Information
> ➢ about NetBeans being at Apache?
>
> Where are the Information about it on netbeans.org? Only when you click
> on community. On the main page it says it is Oracle no Apache info at all.
> Maybe a link to the new one and to more info, right on the main page, which
> should be more attractive, should be there.

OK, will work on the main page, to add that info more explicitly -- do we
have a central page at Apache we should point to from there? E.g., maybe we
should point here from various places on the front page of netbeans.org:
cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS Or is there a different place
to point to? Which page would be most effective?

> >  What are those small things? Providing a list of those small things, for
> > others to implement, is precisely the very significant role that you can
> > play in this project.
>
> I will add more and more tickets from time to time. The thing is, when
> NetBeans was under Oracle and Java EE too, NB Should be the best IDE for
> Java at all. But all the handy, little Features that intelliJ has for Java
> developers and for all others, are so great and amazing, I created a lot of
> tickets where I mentioned those IDEs and I will do more. Only to let you
> know that.

I don't think it's a question of adding more and more tickets.

Instead, start a new mail thread with a specific missing feature, something
small -- and let's discuss that feature via a mail thread, first. Then, at
some point in the discussion, someone will say, let's create an issue
around this feature, now that we've discussed it, and someone else will
say, hey I think I know how to fix that, let me try and then I'll send a
pull request for others to review.

This more interactive way of discussing missing features might work better
than filing an issue and hoping someone will look at it.

If you find this idea useful, we could experiment with one small feature or
aspect of usability, e.g., someone starts a thread with a tag
[ENHANCEMENT-REQUEST] and explains clearly some small aspect of NetBeans
that is simply annoying and shouldn't be hard to fix. Then we discuss that
as a community and you'll probably find that once that has been clearly
discussed and we all know what we're talking about, that someone will step
forward to fix it.

Gj

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
➢ Where exactly would you like to see information on netbeans.org re Apache?
➢ I can see it already myself, it's been there for months -- but where would
➢ you like to see it, where are you looking and not finding the Information
➢ about NetBeans being at Apache?

Where are the Information about it on netbeans.org? Only when you click on community. On the main page it says it is Oracle no Apache info at all. Maybe a link to the new one and to more info, right on the main page, which should be more attractive, should be there.

>  What are those small things? Providing a list of those small things, for
> others to implement, is precisely the very significant role that you can
> play in this project.

I will add more and more tickets from time to time. The thing is, when NetBeans was under Oracle and Java EE too, NB Should be the best IDE for Java at all. But all the handy, little Features that intelliJ has for Java developers and for all others, are so great and amazing, I created a lot of tickets where I mentioned those IDEs and I will do more. Only to let you know that.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 12:04 AM, Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sure, I was just trying to explain myself, and also the opinions of others
> around me. Of course Netbeans has many positives, otherwise I wouldn't use
> it. But we need to take a sober realistic look at it if we want to move it
> forward and make it a top notch IDE it once was.
>
> I actually have to endure a lot of jokes and questions like "when will you
> use a real IDE?" from my colleagues and friends. Believe it or not, there
> is a reason why NB has such a bad reputation among devs.
> I very much believe my lone continued usage of NB is a good way of
> advocating for NB.
>
> Martin

Sure, but you also need to stop this -- NetBeans has a great reputation,
too.

Much appreciate your continuing usage and support and so on, however,
there's no need to excuse yourself to anyone about usage of NetBeans.

Here's something you can refer to, i.e., NetBeans usage in real large
enterprises, e.g., Boeing, NASA, and so on:

https://dzone.com/articles/five-favorite-netbeans-features

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.
Sure, I was just trying to explain myself, and also the opinions of others
around me. Of course Netbeans has many positives, otherwise I wouldn't use
it. But we need to take a sober realistic look at it if we want to move it
forward and make it a top notch IDE it once was.

I actually have to endure a lot of jokes and questions like "when will you
use a real IDE?" from my colleagues and friends. Believe it or not, there
is a reason why NB has such a bad reputation among devs.
I very much believe my lone continued usage of NB is a good way of
advocating for NB.

Martin

Dňa 13.10.2017 22:51 používateľ "Geertjan Wielenga" <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> napísal:

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your feedback. Good to know you’re still using NetBeans. By “Eclipse’s dependency tree tool” what do you mean? Something like [1] or like [2]?

Should we move these kind of emails to the user list?

Thanks,
Antonio

[1] https://books.sonatype.com/m2eclipse-book/reference/figs/web/eclipse_pom-editor-graph-radial.png
[2] https://books.sonatype.com/m2eclipse-book/reference/figs/web/eclipse_pom-editor-depend-tree.png

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.
> For the specific issue you mention -- would this help:
> https://jaxenter.com/netbeans/keep-netbeans-nimble-with-
maven-remote-search

> I.e., if this were to be integrated into Apache NetBeans, I'm sure Emilian
> would be interested in doing that, would that solve the problem?

I will try that and report later if it helps, thanks Geertjan.
Martin

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Oct 13, 2017 05:59, "Neil C Smith" <ne...@googlemail.com> wrote:

In particular, it's no
secret I think JavaFX is a dead-end.  I'm not sure I foresee a time when
either project moves UI to JavaFX - maybe I'm wrong.

I have been pondering this as well, but I think that is for old projects
like both IntelliJ and NB, but views in them, sounds very reasonable to me.
It may be possible over time if we focus on a base platform set of changes
while supporting Swing too, but not sure it would be worth changing the IDE
itself over.

In the meantime,
while we're both using a UI toolkit that is semi-deprecated, maybe there is
useful collaboration to be done around Swing?

Yes; agree! I have also mentioned this in the NB community. I think we need
to contribute to Swing at OpenJDK. It seems more logical than not to me.

Thanks

Wade

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> We could move all issues over.
>
> Many of the issues are old or out of date or irrelevant, i.e., for features
> that are no longer there, etc. It would be a massive task for someone to,
> once the issues are moved, evaluate all of them.

Do we have to take an all or nothing approach?  What about auto-closing
everything before a certain date (~6 months?) / milestone (8.2?) with a
message to re-report in Apache, but copying forward the more recent open
stuff for evaluation?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.
> We could back up the Bugzilla issues somewhere and refer to them or link
> them as needed in Apache NetBeans JIRA.

This could be good enough.

But what is going to happen with the exception reporter tool? Will it be
linked to Jira for automatic ticket creation? Will apache host the
statistics/exceptions tracker DB ?
In other words, what happens with stuff like this:
http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/detail.do?id=228820 ?

Martin

RE: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Cezariusz Marek <ce...@comarch.pl>.
[...]

We could back up the Bugzilla issues somewhere and refer to them or link to them as needed in Apache NetBeans JIRA.

Re: Idiots guy to making a change for a module code change

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, I have taken the 'performance' module.

Gj

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
No worries at all!

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <Er...@irit.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

Re: Request for clarification on review process on NetBeans with pngs and other odd files found

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
That's an ArgoUML file most likely. Don't unzip and attach headers to
it. We wouldn't do the same for .odt files, no?  (which are also zip
files)

--emi

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

Posted by Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.
Yeah a notification would be great.
Thanks Emilian

Martin

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
@Martin Dindoffer: I'm the author of that plugin. My guess is you have
been hitting search.maven.org too often and they are rate limiting
you. Do you have lots and lots of dependencies or some other reason
the plugin could be queries a lot?

One thing I'm not doing in the plugin is caching. I didn't need it for
small projects but it might add up for larger (or different) projects
since I wouldn't have to query search.maven.org so often.

--emi

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net>.
> El 13 oct 2017, a las 12:41, Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> What are those small things? Providing a list of those small things, for
>> others to implement, is precisely the very significant role that you can
>> play in this project.
>
> Hi there, fellow Java developer here.

Hi Martin, thanks for all that feedback.

I think we should be adding this to the bug tracking system. This is valuable feedback from a daily user that, despite of daily exceptions and periodic hangs, keeps on using the IDE at work.

I was wondering if JIRA is here to stay, if so we should think how well it fits the project (priorities, votes, components, etc.) and if it does fit then start writing down all this requests for features.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> * Maven integration is bad. Compared to competition it is slow, the
> periodic indexing is painful. The dependency graph generator is unusable on
> large projects.

That's an interesting observation because for most people a key reason to
switch to NetBeans is the Maven support.

I.e., any folder with a POM is automatically a Maven project and NetBeans
parses the POM and builds the project structure in NetBeans from that,
among other nice integrations between Maven and NetBeans.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Have you tried this plugin:
> >plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/62424/darcula-laf-for-netbeans
> >
> >Would be great to have that as part of Apache NetBeans.
>
> I use this, it's definitely the best look and feel that you can choose
> from. But the font used is something that puts me off.

Then change the font, or mention this in the comments here
http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/62424/darcula-laf-for-netbeans, or
contribute to the project here https://github.com/Revivius/nb-darcula.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.

On 13 Oct 2017 10:18, "Geertjan Wielenga" <ge...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Apache integration should be very prominent on the main page, it
should
> link to all the relevant Apache pages and should ask for volunteers etc.
> The Apache wiki is ok, but most people know about netbeans.org.
>
> In terms of my comments on "modern" and small things. I can't think of too
> many specific things off hand but what I would say is
>
> - I think a subset of the modules you can download should become core
> - the look at feel of netbeans puts me off a bit, I like the intellij dark
> look and feel (the font is much nicer to work with)

Have you tried this plugin:
plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/62424/darcula-laf-for-netbeans

Would be great to have that as part of Apache NetBeans.

> - having moved over to gradle I find the gradle integration in netbeans
not
> as good good as it's competitors. I think netbeans should divorce the
build
> system from the project choice so I could (as a basic example) choose
maven
> html5 or gradle html5 or maven basic java as a project choice.

I think the Gradle plugin should be a standard part of Apache NetBeans,
though that is a decision that Attila Kelemen, the creator of the plugin,
needs to make:

https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project

> - android integration is important to me, would be good to have some
> standard support.

Yes, https://bitbucket.org/nbandroid/nbandroid/wiki/Installation is another
one that could be part of Apache NetBeans, depending on the developer who
created it, so that everyone can get involved in getting it to the next
level.

> Btw I like the fact netbeans has moved to Apache, netbeans has a lot going
> for it that is better than other ides. Hopefully the Apache integration
> will help it move quickly to a better place.

Yup.

> Step one though is making it clearer to users of netbeans that the
> integration is happening and progress is being made to get a new release
> out.

Well, step one was making sure we would succeed in getting the code out of
Oracle into Apache. That has recently succeeded, only over the past month
or so, with at least half more still to come.

So, we really needed there to be code in the Apache NetBeans Git repo
before we could start actively thinking about moving NetBeans users over to
Apache NetBeans.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> On 13/10/17 10:49, Peter Steele wrote:
>
>> The Apache integration should be very prominent on the main page, it
>> should
>> link to all the relevant Apache pages and should ask for volunteers etc.
>> The Apache wiki is ok, but most people know about netbeans.org.
>>

> Exactly. We should plan the announcement of Apache NetBeans very
> carefully. Some key messages I'd suggest: "We're kicking butt again", "Come
> and participate" and "How can we help you today?".

Note that, until very recently, though we have announced the move to Apache
all over the place, we -- at netbeans.org -- didn't yet want to make any
changes there since no actual code was yet in Apache NetBeans Git.

Since part of it is there now, since the past month or so, we should look
at this (aside from the task of moving it all to Apache and so on):

We now, since the last 5 minutes, have on the front page, i.e., netbeans.org,
the clear statement "NetBeans IDE is free, open source, and is moving to
Apache!".

Do you see it now, on netbeans.org, together with a link (when you move
over it and we had to make it white otherwise the blue of the link would
make it invisible against the background).

Should anything else be put there, happy to do anything to make it all
clearer, now that we have code in Apache NetBeans Git.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 13/10/17 10:49, Peter Steele wrote:
> The Apache integration should be very prominent on the main page, it should
> link to all the relevant Apache pages and should ask for volunteers etc.
> The Apache wiki is ok, but most people know about netbeans.org.

Exactly. We should plan the announcement of Apache NetBeans very
carefully. Some key messages I'd suggest: "We're kicking butt again",
"Come and participate" and "How can we help you today?".

> In terms of my comments on "modern" and small things. I can't think of too
> many specific things off hand but what I would say is
>
> - I think a subset of the modules you can download should become core
> - the look at feel of netbeans puts me off a bit, I like the intellij dark
> look and feel (the font is much nicer to work with)

Good point as well. We can't launch NetBeans on Unixes without the
-J-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=true and without using the GTK Look and Feel as
a default option. The Swing Look and Feel was good in the nineties.

> - having moved over to gradle I find the gradle integration in netbeans not
> as good good as it's competitors. I think netbeans should divorce the build
> system from the project choice so I could (as a basic example) choose maven
> html5 or gradle html5 or maven basic java as a project choice.

We should start adding feature requirements to JIRA.

> - android integration is important to me, would be good to have some
> standard support.

Android has been missing for ages. And Google is desperate looking for a
good Android IDE. Is there any funding here?

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
The Apache integration should be very prominent on the main page, it should
link to all the relevant Apache pages and should ask for volunteers etc.
The Apache wiki is ok, but most people know about netbeans.org.

In terms of my comments on "modern" and small things. I can't think of too
many specific things off hand but what I would say is

- I think a subset of the modules you can download should become core
- the look at feel of netbeans puts me off a bit, I like the intellij dark
look and feel (the font is much nicer to work with)
- I don't like having to download and reinstall for each major version. I
should just be able to use the already good updater to do this.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
As one of those "netbeans users" I would agree with both sides of what
people have been saying.

I joined this and the user mailing list to find out a bit more about what
is happening, I would love to contribute at some point but because of the
little time I can give currently I wanted to wait for the Apache migration
to stabilise first.

As a current neutral observer I would say a few things.

- netbeans.org is totally void of any Apache information, if you want more
people involved then communication should be updated there.

- without seeing the project updates here, it looks to be a "dead"  project
to the outside world so again, communication is key. To be fair netbeans.org
was never really good at this either.

- some sort of date or regularly updated checklist to show what needs to be
done before the next release is sorely being missed

- I am a big netbeans fan but moved over to the intellij community edition
because I didn't see oracle really investing much in making netbeans
"modern". I'd love to move back because I think as a community driven
project it can bridge the difference in feature gaps that exist. I far
prefer core netbeans as an ide to intellij or eclipse but it's the many
small things that are missing that makes it hard to beat those other
platforms in terms of every day usability.

I'm definitely looking forward to the integration in to Apache to be more
complete and for the project to continue moving in a positive way forwards.

On 13 Oct 2017 02:15, "Javier Ortiz" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

NetBeans is a huge scary code to most people including myself. Others just
don't feel or plain lack the skill/knowledge to help, or at least that's
what they feel.

Takes lots of time just to get used to the concepts, structure and
peculiarities of it.

As with many other open source tools I contribute to it comes down to need,
and effort needed.

If NetBeans was unique there would be more help since there were no other
options. But if your time is limited and not available or buggy on NetBeans
you just look around and there are other options.

Personally the open source project I got deeply evolved were unique in one
way or another or I created myself due to the same reason. That's why I
believe we don't see the other millions of users.

On Oct 12, 2017 6:26 PM, "Geertjan Wielenga" <

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
PS: See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/on+top+of+NetBeans for
a list, this is the updated version, with more info being added, of
https://platform.netbeans.org/screenshots.html.

AW: AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
And I think this is a big Topic, the HTML, js community, because this is the fastests growing community with lots of new Frameworks etc.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> Yeah they started and then they cancled it. The go plugins, are far away
> of usable. I talked to the devs, because you can see no source Code in the
> plugin Portal. One Project is at github now, the other one, I’m waiting for
> the Code. And there are Features missing to implement it as a plugin for
> NetBeans like the Options for indentation, you can’t do it. The Problem
> still exists for the TypeScript Editor: https://github.com/Everlaw/
> nbts/issues/81

That was not the question. The question was "WHY would someone work on a Go
plugin for free?"

And, clearly, people HAVE been working on various Go plugins, for free, for
whatever reason.

The next, and a totally separate question, is about the stability and
completeness of those plugins. I think, under Apache, the chances are much
bigger that people will not work on their own, so that the chance of
continued development is much larger than in the past.

Gj

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Yeah they started and then they cancled it. The go plugins, are far away of usable. I talked to the devs, because you can see no source Code in the plugin Portal. One Project is at github now, the other one, I’m waiting for the Code. And there are Features missing to implement it as a plugin for NetBeans like the Options for indentation, you can’t do it. The Problem still exists for the TypeScript Editor: https://github.com/Everlaw/nbts/issues/81

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

> > ...Should NetBeans support Apache Spark? Tomcat? The Go programming
> > language? R? Whatever? Just find a big pool of developers and ask them
> > what to do next, what they need, what they want...
>
> Funding such work is a problem - I could tell you guys that I want to
> use NetBeans for Go, but why would someone work for free on
> implementing that?

Someone has already been working for free on implementing that:

http://tunnelvisionlabs.com/products/demo/goworks

Here's another one:

http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/62162/go-project

Here's another one:

http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/25606/go

And there's probably more, in various states of usefulness and stability.

Under Apache, what we'll be able to have is a central place where everyone
working on Go can work together. We've never had such a central neutral
place before, it's always been various people working on their own outside
Sun or Oracle and never without an organized structure for interacting and
co-operating with each other.

There's very few technologies and languages for which some kind of support
doesn't already exist for NetBeans over the years -- all created for free
by enthusiastic supporters of one technology or another. In answer to your
question -- people work for free to create tooling for a technology, such
as Go, in order to promote that technology, for whatever reason.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
I will print this and then hang it here for all to see.

Thanks for this, Wade.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

#1 which makes it easier for other languages and features to be available

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> ...Should NetBeans support Apache Spark? Tomcat? The Go programming
> language? R? Whatever? Just find a big pool of developers and ask them
> what to do next, what they need, what they want...

Funding such work is a problem - I could tell you guys that I want to
use NetBeans for Go, but why would someone work for free on
implementing that?

If you're a consultant (I used to) it's not really "for free" as that
work is also your marketing and might lead to you getting gigs because
you know the thing inside out. That can work well for programming
tools where expert users can quickly become active contributors.
People can also contribute as a great way to learn new things, of
course.

However I think NetBeans is more an end-user tool. I use it myself but
don't really care how it's built, and learning that would not help me
progress much in my careeer where I'm doing other things - with
similar technologies but other things.

What I'm trying to say is that it's harder for "end user tools" than
for "programming libraries and tools" to find active contributors
willing to work "for free" to improve the product (all quoted things
mean "ok not really but you see what I mean"). And I think NetBeans is
closer to an end user tool than programming libraries and tools.

So it might be worth experimenting with other models than the usual
"hey guys can you do this please" one, for a tool such as NetBeans.
The ASF itself does not fund developers, but independent crowdfunding
campaigns are possible, see
https://community.apache.org/committers/funding-disclaimer.html for an
example that I think worked.

-Bertrand

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net>.
> El 12 oct 2017, a las 23:56, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> I think, though this is just my opinion, that people simply using NetBeans
> and not giving anything back at all, is something we need to actively move
> away from.
>
> As a counterpart to this, I don't know where the millions of NetBeans users
> are.

Those millions of users are waiting for you to ask them what they want. It’s exactly the same Emilian did with yameter.com a few days after the release:

https://twitter.com/emilianbold/status/916775452714336256

Should NetBeans support Apache Spark? Tomcat? The Go programming language? R? Whatever? Just find a big pool of developers and ask them what to do next, what they need, what they want. There’s no Oracle direction now (or if there’s then it’s just a direction, not all direction), nobody is deciding what the future will be. So the NetBeans CEO (CEOs) must start asking customers what they want.

Hint: Apache has a big pool of developers.
Hint 2: Ernie’s vi emulator should be included in NetBeans 9.

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:46 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <
> geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> We could then focus on releasing that -- i.e., the first release would
>> consist of all the new JDK 9 features (Jigsaw, JShell, etc), together with
>> then relicensed source code.

There’re no Oracle deadlines now. So the NetBeans Governance (or whatever is called, why am I asking this? Not clear enough?) should set a roadmap ASAP and start blogging about it in the net. Many users will appreciate a public roadmap. It gives us a sense of confidence on what to expect.

And if this roadmap is decided by the NetBeans Governance _and_ the users, the better.

In fact a lack of roadmap can be seen as a competitive advantage, a blank sheet for users deciding the NetBeans future.

>> I think, though this is just my opinion, that people simply using NetBeans
>> and not giving anything back at all, is something we need to actively move
>> away from.

“Build it, and they will come”

Cheers,
Antonio

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I must say there are already way more people sending in pull requests to
Apache NetBeans, right now, than I had anticipated at this point. Plus,
Emilian's amazing army of contributors that we had never heard of before,
etc.

I think that that is how we're going to be moving forward -- via code
contributions that those able to spare the time can make, together with
sudden surprises by groups we had no idea would be interested in
participating.

Gj

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, we have a dedicated team in Oracle in India working on NetBeans. And,
no, that is not how Apache NetBeans is going to be driven -- by a team of
developers in Oracle in India. :-) It is going to be driven by all of us,
together.

Gj

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
NetBeans has about 1M users or it is used by about 1M people, isn’t that the same?

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Exactly, where are the millions of users of netbeans? We have more or less 300 users in slack, ONLY users. Maybe 20 or so will work on the Code too. We have 180 stars at Github, more likes on Twitter but that numbers are senseless. Yeah a lot of People will use a free Service and will never give something back. So it is as it is and we shouldn’t avoid that.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> Making a project free software does not automatically migrate all users of
> the
> project to become contributors to the project.

PS: NetBeans has always been free software. The difference is that under
Apache, it's not only free software, but also open governance. That does
bring with it some responsibility to everyone in the community. If we end
up only having users and no committers, NetBeans is dead, of course.

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Described here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

Indeed, a lot has still to be done, it's too early for anyone to contribute
anything other than what's described on this page at this point:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review

I agree with you -- and with Chris and Emilian -- of course there will be
many people who will 'simply' be users.

However, the more we can shift perspective from simply using to
contributing something back, however small, would be good, and fits into
the Apache approach as well.

Gj

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>.
Making a project free software does not automatically migrate all users of the
project to become contributors to the project. This takes time, because the
task is to shift the mindset of the community of users being driven to users
driving. Most won't shift simply because they want to be users, not
contributors.

But why would you want to reject the community of plain users that don't
contribute back? How many users would httpd or nginx have if it would only be
available to those that have contributed back to the project? I think such a

Re: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I totally aggree with Emilian, yeah I mean we have a dedicated Team in india which is working full time on netbeans right? Geertjan said that, or did I misundestood smth?

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Yeah sure, but this is more about communicating. I mean not everyone is willing to create a plugin or Change Code of the netbeans core as it is. Because if you see to other Projects like VS Code or other OSS maybe 1M People are users and from them 1% or less, are actively contributors and I think that will not come to an end anyway. Not all of us have full time to work on that Feature request or bug, that we created to fix it by our own. So all of my 200 tickets I can’t fix by my own, because lack of time and Knowledge. I will fix of Course soem, but not all.

Cheers

Chris

AW: NetBeans 9 release date

Re: NetBeans 9 release date