Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Juan Alvarado <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/03 19:01:54 UTC

Internationalization on a DB Scale

I am developing an e-commerce application which will
need among other things store things like a product
description in different languages. These different
product descriptions would be stored in a database
table(product) and there will be a column for each
(product_description_en, product_description_es).

So in my scenario,  I would have a value object that I
would populate with the corresponding properties from
the database table. So a ProductVO would have a
property like:

private String productDescriptionEN;
private String productDescriptionES;

As you can see there is a product description for
English and for Spanish.

So my question/problem is if anyone knows of a way in
which Struts can help me render the correct property
to the user based on the locale they are using. I know
the naming convention I used is probably not
appropriate, but it is just there for the sake of
explaining clearly my problem.

In my example the user selects which language they
would like to view the site in.
They select the type of product they would like to
view.
In the results list, all descriptions and product info
should be the corresponding locale specific property
in a ProductVO.

If anyone has had experience doing this sort of thing,
or if anyone has an idea as to what would be the
quickest/best way to accomplish this in my
application, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Juan Alvarado