Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2014/04/17 01:32:24 UTC

[]DISCUSS] Release Apache VXQuery Incubating 0.3 (RC2)

HI,

I just took a look at the release candidate, there's a few very minor issues but everything else looks good.

Checksum and PGP good

DISCLAIMER exists
NOTICE OK - but does has 2013 in it
LICENSE also OK mentions ODC-BY 1.0. This is not listed at [1] as a compatible license but it looks to be a permissive style license.
Missing README and RELEASE_NOTES, while I expect these to be here they are not required [2]. IMO It would be useful to included instructions on how to build the project.

License headers OK

Source release does contain a binary file, but as it a compressed XML file that's probably OK. Does this need to be compressed as the source package is compressed?
File is ./vxquery-core/src/test/resources/documents/dblp.xml.gz. Un-compresing the file I find that it has no license header, perhaps the original ODC-BY 1.0 header has been removed? As CDC-BY 1.0 is mentioned in LICENSE I think this is OK by Apache but may not be OK by CDC-BY license terms? Anyone confirm?

Can compile from source successfully (mvn compile).
Tests (mvn test) pass.

If someone with more licensing experience than me can confirm that ODC-BY 1.0 and dblp.xml.gz is correctly licensed then I'd vote +1.

Thanks,
Justin

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

Re: []DISCUSS] Release Apache VXQuery Incubating 0.3 (RC2)

Posted by Till Westmann <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

the use this ODC-BY 1.0 licensed file has been allowed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-182.
We filed this JIRA for our 0.2 release.

The date in the NOTICE is covered by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-113 and it will be addressed for the next release.

Some build instructions are available on the website, but I agree that we should put those into the source artifact as well.
I've just created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-114 for this.

Thanks for checking the release!
Till