Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by JSP lover <rt...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/05 20:12:20 UTC

html hotswap

Hi,

   Excuse me for my ignorance, but my team just started to play with Wicket
and I am having a hard time with it.
   My problem is that I am used to changing the HTML of a page, getting it
just right. So in the process of developing a page I may review changes to
it many many times.    Add a div here, add a div there and review the
changes.
Now, if I make changes using the wicket framework, at least in intelliJ it
seems that I have to reinitialize the server. If I have to reinit the server
for every little html change I feel that my productivity goes to  0 and
frustration to 100!

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Re: html hotswap

Posted by Sam Barnum <sa...@360works.com>.
Oops, I think this is fixed in the latest version of IntelliJ

Check "Settings / Compiler".  There's an option for "Deploy web
applications to server after compilation"

Re: html hotswap

Posted by Sam Barnum <sa...@360works.com>.
I use IntelliJ for wicket development, and for the most part am
pretty happy with it.

When I make a change, I do a build, and IntelliJ asks if I want to
redeploy the application.  If I haven't changed any java method
signatures, I click 'no' and my HTML changes and java changes are live.

That said, there are a few caveats. Sometimes things seem a little
weird after doing a hot swap, particularly persistent objects.  But
the biggie:

There's a checkbox in the redeploy dialog saying "don't ask me
again".  If you check this, there's no way to bring back this dialog,
and your app will be redeployed every time you do a build!  The
solution is to quit intellij and manually edit your .ipr file.
Remove the line that says

     <option name="DEPLOY_AFTER_MAKE" value="1" />

I've just mustered up the effort to submit a feature request on this
to jetbrains.

I strongly recommend you get the WicketForge IntelliJ plugin as well,
it's quite helpful for identifying wicket:id attribtues in your HTML
file which don't match a component in your java file.

--
Sam Barnum
360 Works
http://www.360works.com
415.865.0952

On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:32 AM, <wi...@coastware.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I was wondering the same thing. I also came across a page that
> might answer
> the question as well:
> http://wicket.sourceforge.net/wicket-1.0/faqs.html#how-reload-
> changed-markup