Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID> on 2019/03/01 14:28:52 UTC

[VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

This voting thread is to confirm Geertjan Wielenga as the first PMC
chair of NetBeans as we leave incubation and begin our journey as a
top-level Apache project. As an Oracle employee, Geertjan has been in a
unique position to help guide the project to independence and is the
best choice to complete that process.

As a reminder, here are the duties of the PMC chair:

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

Please indicate your vote with +1, 0, or -1.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Martin Klähn <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Martin

Ralph Benjamin Ruijs <ra...@gmail.com> schrieb am Mo., 4. März
2019, 07:24:

Posted by Ralph Benjamin Ruijs <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by constantin drabo <dr...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gaurav Gupta <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Without Geertjan's enthusiasm, passion for the NetBeans project and his hard
work inside of Oracle as well as his endless promotion of the brand
externally, there would be no Apache NetBeans as we know it now.

Geertjan fully deserves to be the PMC chair. His only drawback (e.g. being an
Oracle employee[1]) is negligible compared to the achievements he has made!

My vote goes to Geertjan, the NetBeans Saviour!

Jaroslav Tulach
NetBeans founder and initial architect

[1] It is not drawback per se, it just may be perceived as a drawback by some.

Posted by David Heffelfinger <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
http://ensode.net - A Guide to Java, Linux and Other Technology Topics

My Books: http://www.packtpub.com/authors/profiles/david-heffelfinger

My Video Training:
http://www.packtpub.com/java-ee-development-with-netbeans-7/video

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ensode

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
+1

This voting thread is to confirm Geertjan Wielenga as the first PMC chair of NetBeans as we leave incubation and begin our journey as a top-level Apache project. As an Oracle employee, Geertjan has been in a unique position to help guide the project to independence and is the best choice to complete that process.

As a reminder, here are the duties of the PMC chair:

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

Please indicate your vote with +1, 0, or -1.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682) "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

Josh Juneau
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Posted by Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de>.
+1

Am 01.03.19 um 15:28 schrieb Glenn Holmer:
> This voting thread is to confirm Geertjan Wielenga as the first PMC
> chair of NetBeans as we leave incubation and begin our journey as a
> top-level Apache project. As an Oracle employee, Geertjan has been in a
> unique position to help guide the project to independence and is the
> best choice to complete that process.
>
> As a reminder, here are the duties of the PMC chair:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>
> Please indicate your vote with +1, 0, or -1.

--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by re...@oracle.com.
+1

Reema

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
Also a clear +1 from me :)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
+1

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Sarvesh Kesharwani <sa...@oracle.com>.
+1

Thanks,
Sarvesh

Posted by Gilberto <gi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jens Hofschröer <ap...@nigjo.de>.

http://blog.nigjo.de/netbeans/

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Arunava Sinha <ar...@oracle.com>.
+1

Arunava

Posted by Eduardo Quintanilla <eq...@bnext.mx>.
+1

Eduardo Quintanilla
Software Developer
Block Networks

Posted by Pete Whelpton <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kodewerk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
+1

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
+1

Eric

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
+1

Posted by Gail Anderson <ga...@asgteach.com>.
+1

Posted by Thilina Ranathunga <r....@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,
Thilina Ranathunga

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 5:39 PM Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...the question was whether it would be unseemly to have an Oracle
> employee as PMC chair. I think there's clear agreement that that's not
> the case....

Yes, I think Geertjan has sufficiently demonstrated his independence
and understanding of the Apache's Fierce Independence From
Organizations principle ;-)

> ...And speaking of pedantism :) how long should a vote like this stay open?...

In general a vote needs to be open for at least 72 hours so that all
community members who want to vote can do so.

Then, you tally it and it's good to differentiate between "binding"
votes from people on the PPMC and "non-binding" ones from others who
are welcome to vote as well.

From a formal point of view, only binding votes count, but if there's
a strong disconnect between those and the non-binding ones it's a bad
sign that should be addressed.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 3/4/19 9:43 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> This voting thread is to confirm Geertjan Wielenga as the first PMC
>> chair of NetBeans as we leave incubation...
>
> I was initially surprised to see this appear out of the blue but there
> was a prior discussion here a few days ago indeed [1].

Yes, the question was whether it would be unseemly to have an Oracle
employee as PMC chair. I think there's clear agreement that that's not
the case.

> In that thread both Glenn and Geertjan were nominated and I understand
> Glenn's +1 for Geertjan in this thread as him agreeing to step down
> for now.

Yes, that's correct.

> (sorry if this sounds pedantic, I just wanted to avoid the impression
> that people can just be proposed without a prior "democratic debate"
> ;-)

And speaking of pedantism :) how long should a vote like this stay open?
It's my first time proposing a vote. Is it 72 hours? Then what happens,
must we notify mentors somehow, or is posting of the vote results
enough? Should I make a voting results post with count of the votes (and
must only IPMC votes be counted, or all of them)?

http://home.apache.org/phonebook.html?podling=netbeans

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:

> This voting thread is to confirm Geertjan Wielenga as the first PMC
> chair of NetBeans as we leave incubation...

I was initially surprised to see this appear out of the blue but there
was a prior discussion here a few days ago indeed [1].

In that thread both Glenn and Geertjan were nominated and I understand
Glenn's +1 for Geertjan in this thread as him agreeing to step down
for now.

(sorry if this sounds pedantic, I just wanted to avoid the impression
that people can just be proposed without a prior "democratic debate"
;-)

So here's my +1 for Geertjan, I think your great understanding of
Apache principles makes you very well qualified!

-Bertrand

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4d47458b5155ab2f6c189e6fda1321fa2348dea6c914e2d3dd1dcfa0@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] PMC chair for Apache NetBeans

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
+1
:)

Posted by Paul Anderson <pa...@asgteach.com>.