Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com> on 2010/02/20 08:51:36 UTC

Merging OFBiz Wiki Spaces

Just wondering why after moving to Apache Infra there are still multiple
OFBiz spaces on the wiki especially as on the homepage of the website
(ofbiz.apache.org) there is only a link to one of the spaces?

Can I suggest that we merge them all under one space so that users can
easily find all the docs under one link and one Home page
(http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Home) ?

I am sure that a quick ticket into infra will do the trick, I don't mind
writing it as long as I am not stepping on toes and no one minds.

Cheers
Sam

Re: Merging OFBiz Wiki Spaces

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
One way or another, please understand that this is a change in how project admin and some other content is managed and would require a PMC vote. The OFBIZ space is the only one with unrestricted access, with the hope of having documentation "committers" just like we have code committers. However, very few have stepped up for this and there is almost zero coordination around such efforts, so the majority of new content seems to go in the OFBIZ space.

The OFBADMIN space should probably not be left all the way open. We have enough issues with funny policies and other things making their way into it with just the PMC having full access to it. If it was fully open, anyone could edit any of those pages. Of course, that's only my opinion and I'm just one of many PMC members.

If there are enough people interested in making this happen to actually get it to happen then I think that answers the whole question. At this point Contegix is out of the picture for the cwiki stuff, BTW. In general I don't think there is any magic bullet to combine the spaces, we'd basically have to either manually move all of the pages to the OFBIZ space or someone would have to write a script to do so, and part of that would be updating links within the pages, resolving conflicts in page names, etc.

Either way, I'm not going to argue it. There are lots of reasons for the ways things have been done in OFBiz, but many people want to try new things or do things in different ways and recognizing that over time I've argued less and less for how things have been done in the past. In fact, for those who don't know Jacopo has taken my place as PMC Chair because I'm really not in a position to offer any sort of leadership in this community any more, especially not servant leadership and trying to keep things clean and consistent.

-David

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
so your proposing that all spaces be accessible by everyone.
after all that was the purpose of the wiki in the first place.

Sam Hamilton sent the following on 2/20/2010 12:33 AM:

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I really think it was a terrible idea to blindly move our project infrastructure over to the ASF, it has done nothing but reduce the quality of our documentation (broken links, difficult navigation) and demo server (manually maintained, less server resources, no monitoring, currently no release branch demo).  We should have only moved the things that transferred seamlessly.

Regards
Scott