Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/28 21:11:44 UTC

Introductions for Tony Rogers

Tony,

That's great news. Let me make some introductions. John Kaputin is leading
the implementation of the WSDL 2.0 object model, parser, and serializer,
and Lawrence Mandel leading the implementation of the validator.

Woden Developers, Let me introduce Tony Rogers of CA who works with me on
the W3C WSDL 2.0 Working Group. Tony would like to help with Woden.

Tony, I suggest you start by looking at the Web site [1] and getting
familiar with SVN and JIRA. You'll need a JIRA account to open bugs and
submit patches. You can use anonymous SVN access to get the code.

I'd like to propose that you initially help us get a complete Test Suite.
This means creating the WSDL 2.0 test cases, and potentially writing some
JUnit tests. You can also help review the specs and identify Test
Assertions. We are storing all WSDL 2.0 document test cases at the W3C
site, but the JUnits go in the Apache SVN.

For each assertion, we need a schema valid WSDL 2.0 document that violates
it. We can be test driven. Create the test case first, then write the code
to check the assertion.

John, Lawrence - feel free to suggest any tasks that Tony can help with.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/woden/index.html

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

"Rogers, Tony" <To...@ca.com>
11/27/2005 11:17 PM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc

Subject
Woden participation

Hi Arthur

I have just received permission to participate in the Woden project (I
asked officially, and that takes time :-) ). How do I get involved / sign
up?

Tony Rogers
tony.rogers@ca.com

Re: Introductions for Tony Rogers

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Tony

Welcome!

Paul

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Tony,
and welcome. We have several areas where you could help, but your in-depth
knowledge of the WSDL 2.0 spec could easily be put to good use straight
away on functional testing of the Woden processor - through the creation of
WSLD 2.0 test docs in the W3C suite and writing corresponding junit
testcases in Woden.

Lawrence and I are working on Milestone 2 due at the end of this week,
which should provide enough functionality to start doing some useful WSDL
2.0 testing and provide a good base for yourself and others to contribute
to futher code development.

M2 should include:
* Parsing of types, interface, binding and service into a WSDL object model
represented as the Component model described in the spec and an Element
model based on the XML mappings.
* a binding extensibility mechanism with an initial implementation for SOAP
bindings
* validation logic for types and interface
* Woden 'framework' features such as factory, reader, error reporter, etc.

We also have a recent offer from Guillaume Nodet who is willing to
participate in testing and code development, so perhaps from December we
can start accelerating the development of Woden. I will take some time out
from code development early next week to compile a list of tasks and
priorities and to (finally) get some design and user documentation onto the
Woden website.  We can then discuss further how you would like to
participate.

Meantime, these are some of the sort of tasks that come to mind...

WSDL 2.0 function outstanding at M2:
*  extended interfaces
*  WSDL import and include
*  URI catalog resolver (e.g. Apache xml-commons Resolver)
*  Serialization
*  Validation of binding and service (Lawrence will be working on this for
M3)
*  Extensibility for attributes and elements, but the latter may be covered
by the binding extensibility due in M2
*  Types system extensibility - we currently support XML Schema but need
support by extension for other type systems, as per WSDL 2.0 spec.

Other non-WSDL 2.0 function:
*  more readWSDL options in WSDLReader
*  WSDL 1.1 to 2.0 conversion
*  Parser extensibility (current implementation is DOM/JAXP based, support
for StAX is required)

regards,
John Kaputin

             Lawrence Mandel
             <lmandel@ca.ibm.c
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             28/11/2005 21:33                                           cc
                                       tony.rogers@ca.com
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Introductions for Tony Rogers
                 woden-dev

Tony, thanks for volunteering and welcome to the team. As Arthur said,
Woden currently needs a lot of help with testing against the WSDL 2.0 spec.
John and I have had limited time to create test case documents and
implement JUnit tests. With your knowledge of the spec this is probably a
good fit. Aside from testing there is lots of work to be done on opening
Woden for extension (of types and extensibility elements) as well as
importing/including documents into a single model. John can give guidance
on exactly where help is needed in this area.

Lawrence Mandel

 Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>

 11/28/2005 03:28 PM                               woden-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
                                                   tony.rogers@ca.com
            Please respond to                                      Subject
                woden-dev                          Re: Introductions for
                                                   Tony Rogers

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.