Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Müller, Markus" <ma...@sdm.de> on 2003/04/17 17:00:29 UTC

Question about TTFReader (concerning fluttering font)

Hi there,

as mentioned earlier in this mailing list we have trouble with a corporate
font: right aligned numbers are displayed fluttering in PDF. It seems that
the kerning information in the font metrics file is invalid. So the
following question arises: How does TTFReader get the information stored in
the XML file? Are they extracted from the TTF file or does TTFReader compute
(guess) some/all of these values?

Markus

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Müller, Markus wrote:
> as mentioned earlier in this mailing list we have trouble with a corporate
> font: right aligned numbers are displayed fluttering in PDF. It seems that
> the kerning information in the font metrics file is invalid.

Two additional concerns:
- If the "right aligned numbers" are page number citations, this is
   related to a FAQ:
     http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#page-number-align
- Word width computation during layout does not use kerning info at
   all. This is bad for both justified or right aligned text in
   general.

I earlier days people used to snip cruft.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Question about TTFReader (concerning fluttering font)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
TTFFile.java extract these values from the TTF file. I never got round
to investigate the problem so I usually remove all "kerning" elements in
the font metrics XML. That disables kerning but gives me a "flutter-free"
PDF. Somehow, setting kerning="no" in userconfig.xml doesn't help (which
I also haven't investigated yet). Removing the kerning elements is the
best short-term solution. I hope this helps.

On 17.04.2003 17:00:29 Müller, Markus wrote:
> as mentioned earlier in this mailing list we have trouble with a corporate
> font: right aligned numbers are displayed fluttering in PDF. It seems that
> the kerning information in the font metrics file is invalid. So the
> following question arises: How does TTFReader get the information stored in
> the XML file? Are they extracted from the TTF file or does TTFReader compute
> (guess) some/all of these values?

Jeremias Maerki