Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tuomo L <tu...@niksula.hut.fi> on 2002/11/11 14:00:26 UTC

Forms and XML

Hi all,

I need to build a system, which will include a lot of forms for the users
to feed data into the system. The system should also have the possibility
to search data using different kinds of search forms.

I read the how-to about the XMLForms, and I think it's a great way to do
things. One thing I'm not quite clear about: What is the role of the
beans? Do I have to write a bean
for every single form in my system, or is there a way to hold the data in
one bean? Or some session context perhaps? I mean, in this project, it
should be possible for people who
don't
know Java to add forms easilly to the system, with validation
instructions they can specify. Also, how do I dump the data collected to
the database actions, or mailer action?

This should also be possible: When user is selecting a value from a select
list, and the value he/she is looking for isn't there, the same user could
switch to another form, add a value (to db for example), and then
switch
back to the original form where the item he/she was looking for would now
be available for select. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,
Tuomo