Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Maring <St...@trcinc.com> on 2000/01/17 15:14:45 UTC

XSP questions

I have a few questions regarding XSP that I have not yet been able to figure
out.  Any thoughts, corrections, or responses would be greatly appriciated.

It sounds to me like XSP logic will be turned into the Java code for a
Cocoon producer and be compiled.  The producer in the current version of
Cocoon works with the DOM, whereas the producer in Cocoon2 will work with
SAX for performance reasons.

1)  How does Cocoon know to use a compiled producer instead of reprocessing
the XSP on subsequent requests?

2)  Assuming you had the patience, could you not just bypass the XSP process
and manually code Cocoon SAX producers?

3)  I reallize that XSP has taken the logic out of the data, but hasn't it
just been put right back into the presentation design?  Is there a way to
seperate out your logic/XSP XSL from your purely design XSL?  I might be
able to expect my designers to learn XSL, but not Java.

4)  An unrelated question.  Assuming that we accept the model that most
requests coming to a server are requesting unchanged data, what would a
caching or document management architecture look like that would allow
documents to be pre-processed on change and only Cocoon processed when the
content changed?  I suppose I could use database triggers to build static
HTML files.  Or is there an acceptable caching model already built into
Cocoon?

Thanks.

# Steve Maring
# Web Engineer
# Technical Resource Connection, Inc.
# A wholly owned subsidiary of Perot Systems
# 800-872-2992, ext. 4323
# smaring@trcinc.com